Vivian Creek to Halfway Camp 2/28/09

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Liz

Post by Liz »

After many winter hikes in the Mount Wilson area, it was time to get back into the wilderness. It’s occurred to me lately, that in avoiding the snow covered trails I love so dearly, I’ve been seeing way too much of downtown LA from my trails! Then, a friend lit a fire under me, and boom! I was heading out to the San Gorgonio Wilderness.

Since I’m still pretty inexperienced with hiking in fairly deep snow, and I was solo, I chose only to go up the Vivian Creek Trail to Halfway Camp and back. This was perfect for me. Now, usually, I’m the mileage monster, who’s not satisfied with less than 12 miles and prefers 15, but today was great.

As I began my hike, the snow was hard and a little slippery, but as the sun warmed it, it got softer and I would occasionally sink. Around Vivian Creek Camp I would sink to my knee, but by the Halfway Camp area, I’d sink to my waist. (I’m 5’ 6”.) Anyway, I did most of the hike without snowshoes, but did need them at one point, when I took an inadvertent “detour.” Well, that was part of the fun.

I moved much more slowly than I’m accustomed to, but hey, I’m here safe and sound so I did the right thing. It felt great to visit my favorite, local stomping grounds. I’ll go higher next time, and of course, during the summer I’ll revisit that summit a time or two, or three…

Anyway, here are a few pics from my day.
www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 497797957/

:D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Liz, great pictures.

When I heal up (Bad ACL right now) I'm heading up South Fork or Vivian.

I sent you a message on the other board for the Catcus to Clouds hike, let me know when you plan to do that I will be glad to join you.

It's the first time I've seen snow down to the trail sign in four years.

How many people did you see out there today?

Thanks again for posting. :D
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hi lilbitmo!

I did get your PM on the San J site, and forgot to reply. I'll let ya know when I'm thinking about doing C2C. I may do it in the fall, before the winter storms hit. We shall see! :)
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz wrote:Hi lilbitmo!

I did get your PM on the San J site, and forgot to reply. I'll let ya know when I'm thinking about doing C2C. I may do it in the fall, before the winter storms hit. We shall see! :)
The fall is a long way away. Why so long?
Liz

Post by Liz »

Well, EnFuego, I want to do C2C during a "cusp" season so I'm not doing it in deep snow or crazy heat. S, I thought I'd do fall, partly so I can train, but MOSTLY b/c my huking buddies are so darn hard to pin down for hikes with me...I cannot imagine getting them to do it with me till Fall. If you can commit to hike with me a few times between now and late spring, then I'll go for Spring. What the heck...AND fall. Tag! You're it! :twisted:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I think I want to check out Vivian Creek trail sometime soon. By end of March for sure. Anyone up to join me?
Liz

Post by Liz »

Howdy EnFuego! if it's a Saturday, count me in for Vivian Creek!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Liz wrote:As I began my hike, the snow was hard and a little slippery, but as the sun warmed it, it got softer and I would occasionally sink. Around Vivian Creek Camp I would sink to my knee, but by the Halfway Camp area, I’d sink to my waist. (I’m 5’ 6”.)
I was on the Vivian Creek Trail on Saturday and saw some deep postholes. The snow was hard enough to walk right by them, but I did appreciate that someone had done a lot of leg lifting a week earlier.