Big Iron via South Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Me and Vic Hanson (he runs a guiding service in Peru) did Iron Mountain this past Saturday. Our only mistake was not bringing snowshoes. A deep, soft cover began about 2 miles below the summit. We sometimes posthold up to our crotches; very slow going needless to say. The top was covered of course and the views fabulous on a clear day.

We were the first (signed) visitors since Feb. 1. It was my 6th time on this summit and I was frankly seized with some jealousy when I read in the register that Tom Becht's dog, Coco, has also done it 6 times! But I've hiked with Coco and know he's one fearless, adventuresome canine.

The one big advantage of the snow cover on the ridge was it made the descent of those first couple of miles very easy; no sliding down the steep, scree filled little gullies as when it's dry. Vic and I had just a great day.

eight="344">
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Excellent job. I bet the views were amazing. Such perfect weather for your hike. Nice videos too.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice trip report, what elevation did you first encounter snow, thinking of going 14th or 15th?

Would have already attempted but have bad ACL I'm trying to recover from and it's a pain in the A$$ not being able to get out there.

How deep would you say it is on top?

Thanks for posting. :D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice job Augie. I have people pining to go up Big Iron again. Lots of snow, now i have reason to tell them why not to go! :P
Augie

Post by Augie »

EnFuego wrote:Excellent job. I bet the views were amazing. Such perfect weather for your hike. Nice videos too.
Thanks. The views couldn't be beat. Just a perfect day except for postholing and wet feet!
Augie

Post by Augie »

lilbitmo wrote:Nice trip report, what elevation did you first encounter snow, thinking of going 14th or 15th?

Would have already attempted but have bad ACL I'm trying to recover from and it's a pain in the A$$ not being able to get out there.

First encountered significant snow about 6K feet. Who knows what will happen to that cover if it continues warm. Some or all may be gone in two weeks. If the weather gets colder the cover could get hard packed and even icy in parts. Check out the conditions beforehand.

On top the snow was not particularly deep and was actually a little more hard packed than down below.

Bad ACL? Ouch. That steep descent from Iron will be hard on the old ligaments. Don't go before you're ready.
Augie

Post by Augie »

wrote:nice job Augie. I have people pining to go up Big Iron again. Lots of snow, now i have reason to tell them why not to go! :P
Thanks Joseph. Get your friends out there and they can have a snowball fight.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lilbitmo wrote:Nice trip report, what elevation did you first encounter snow, thinking of going 14th or 15th?

I hear you, bro. I sprained my lt. knee in Nov. Still not back 100% although I'm now able to do some moderate hikes.

Post by 406 »

love the view of snowy Baldy from Iron ( although never seen it in person ).
Augie

Post by Augie »

406 wrote:love the view of snowy Baldy from Iron ( although never seen it in person ).
Then you'll have to do it in winter sometime. One of the best views to be had anywhere.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Augie wrote:
406 wrote:love the view of snowy Baldy from Iron ( although never seen it in person ).
Then you'll have to do it in winter sometime. One of the best views to be had anywhere.
406 - you should do it now. Perfect conditions. Maybe even too warm right now, but nice.

Post by 406 »

hiking to ski always wins the priority game for me ;-)