Mt. Baldy Ranger

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
OutdoorAbstract

Post by OutdoorAbstract »

Walked up from the Village this am then rode the chairlift down. As I stumbled down the ramp into the ski area parking lot there was a "Mt. Baldy Park Ranger" law enforcement dude. White Crown Vic with some sort of insignia and a green uniform (w/ sidearm) that looked like a sheriff. He said this is the first year of the program and that they curtail the wacked out behavior in the area. I had never seen these guys and didn't know anything about it. Seems like a good thing.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

What constitutes "wacked out"? Not knocking your choice in words, but I'm wondering what I missed.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. I wonder who pays him. Ski area?

Doesn't sound like USFS.

Post by 406 »

I've noticed him also...would be surprised if the ski area had the money to pay him, but he is in the ski area parking lot often. I got the impression he had some kind of connection with the sheriff...but I can't tell the county. I've also noticed him keeping snow players off the road, so seems like a good thing to me. Although he makes me nervous about some of my parking lot activities.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Just make sure you save him a "Puff" and he will leave you alone :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

406 wrote:...he makes me nervous about some of my parking lot activities.
Oh, now is that a straight line or what? Must ... be ... good. Show restraint. Do not say it ... Keep mouth shut ... count to ten ...
OutdoorAbstract

TacoDelRio wrote:What constitutes "wacked out"? Not knocking your choice in words, but I'm wondering what I missed.
Maybe they would chase down that guy with the sword who hacked up those other two guys, maybe ask the guys discharging firearms to keep that sort of stuff down in the valley, ask the cholitos to go spray paint their own house, ask the zoomers to pick up the party trash before they go and drive off the edge of the switchbacks, etc. :D
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

To me, its about time they had some law enforcement cruising the area up there.

In the past (10-15 years ago) it was not unusual to come down from a Baldy hike and see drunk drivers, hard partiers, etc. in the Manker Flats area, and it wasn't unusual to see the LA County or SB County Sheriff busting somebody for something. From what I know the old Manker Flats campground got known for its fights, vandalism, late night partying, etc. and was eventually closed for quite a few years. These days the area is pretty tame, both summer & winter, compared to those "good-old days."
OutdoorAbstract

He was a sworn law enforcement officer so I figured the taxpayers somewhere were picking up the bill.