Skier caught on Baldy overnight suffers frostbite

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Augie

Post by Augie »

First it was Taco Del Rio and now another experienced outdoorsman that I know got tagged by the mountain. I haven't yet talked to him, but Tim Triche, out to ski the Bowl, got caught by a storm and whiteout on Baldy on Feb. 11 and had to bivy. He did get through by cell phone to his family and S&R but because of conditions a rescue copter couldn't be sent out until the following morning. He suffered exposure and frostbite to his feet. He may lose a couple of toes. But at least he survived to see is wife and child again.

I learned of the incident from his mom and then googled up the local newspaper articles. I was kind of surprised this news didn't surface on this forum (or have I missed the thread?). Anyway, let's all hope for the best.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sorry about the news. I did not see the write up on this board at all, so it must have slipped through the cracks.

I will say a prayer that he gets through this without having to lose any toes.

Thank God he made it out alive.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Best of luck, Tim. I hope all goes well.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Is he on this board? I heard this story on the radio that Thursday. On the radio they said it was a snowboarder.
Augie

Post by Augie »

hvydrt wrote:Is he on this board? I heard this story on the radio that Thursday. On the radio they said it was a snowboarder.
No, he isn't on the board. Newspaper articles I read said "snowboarder" in the headline and then said "skier" in the text -obviously these papers do no editing for inconsistencies. I will probably talk with Tim today and clarify this but I'm pretty sure he was skiing.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Augie - if you can google the articles again, can you post them please? I'd like to read what they said.

Best wishes to Tim.
ltjeremysmith

Post by ltjeremysmith »

Subject was on a splitboard; snowboard on the way down, stubby skis with skins on the way up. Somewhere on here linked to a write up he did on the Boardistan.com forum.
Augie

Post by Augie »

EnFuego wrote:Augie - if you can google the articles again, can you post them please? I'd like to read what they said.

Best wishes to Tim.
See first 5 items here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ti ... h&aq=f&oq=
He219

Post by He219 »

I'm glad Tim made it out!