first hike with the dog.....she did well

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

my friend needed a dog sitter so i agreed.....i had no idea how strong this animal is.....wow.....since the dog has neverbeen on trail i decided to break her in.....she did fine.....she didnt poop or bite anyone....thats good enough to hike with me......the dog almost jumped in a tree over a cliff to getthe squirrel and almost took my shoulder out.....sturtevant falls was a nice choice for a test run....
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

ooh, Alaskan husky?

i've only had one guy bring a dog on one of my hikes, and he's done it twice....on Strawberry Peak (class 3 climb), and Monrovia Peak (very brushy ridge)...insane. the dog is a machine!

as for other animals, I've only had the guy with his bird a few times. due to recent news, i'll probably ban anyone from taking chimpanzees :shock:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I thought you'd captured a wolf. :D

Good lookin' dog!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

One word of caution, dogs with that much fur overheat real easy. While the water supply for that hike was the river, if you go to areas with less running water, take breaks often, and make sure the dog gets plenty of water.

My dog almost had a full blown heat stroke on Baldy one semi-hot day, she stopped drinking water halfway through the hike (after reaching the summit and eating plenty of food and drinking water all the way up) and no matter how hard I tried to get her to drink water (on the way down) she turned away from it - no matter how many breaks we took she would not drink - it was at that point I new she was in trouble. I caried her down to the falls and had to soak her in the water near the falls for 1/2 hour to get her body temperature down enough for her to get home safely. She ended up throwing up "Dry Heves" at one point - one minute she was fine the next she was sick. It took a full week for her to get back to normal- it's scarry watching one of your loved ones do that.

I watch her carefully on subsequent hikes, but dogs do not handle heat well, especially - thick fur dogs.

You will be amazed how quick things can turn ugly.

Just my experience with a similar breed.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Careful! :shock: Once that dog gets a taste of the trail they are absolutely hooked. My dog can spot my hiking pants a mile away and if I even look at my hiking poles she comes unglued and starts dancing at the door. :roll: Actually she is the best hiking partner in the world. Good advise on hydration from Lilbitmo. I keep my dog leashed up until I get way down the trail but when we are far enough away I let her run. (I know some frown on this) but she will always come back to me if she sees another group or dog. (then I leash her back up) Sue me. :wink: She usually ends up doing at least twice the mileage I do as she circles me.(orbits, I call 'em).
LD

Post by LD »

We had Chelsea for 9 short years and she loved to hike. I would have to spell the word "hike" when she was around or she would bolt for the door thinking we were going. We hiked a lot in the San Gabriels. She especially liked the Bridge to Nowhere with all the water.
I remember one summer we hiked to Cucamonga Peak and I must have carried a gallon of water just for her. Filling up at Columbine up and back. I would put a bandana around her throat and keep it wet.
Lilbitmo is right... you need to keep them cool or they overheat easy.
Best dog I ever had :)

This is how we roll now :roll:

EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

friendowl wrote:.....she didnt poop or bite anyone....
Thats better than me. :D