what do you think of these ?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

i cant afford good boots and crampons so i got these and an ice axe....

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html

i have never seen anyone use them so i dont know what to expect.....

has anyone heard anything good or bad about em ?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I have Microspikes and think they are a fine product. They are good for minimizing or eliminating slipping on icy, but relatively flat, ground. They can aid traction in walking uphill on hard snow, but they are no substitute for crampons. I don't use them in places I would not be willing to go in boots alone, but they do make travel easier.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

thanks for the reply....do you think they would be fine to get me up baldy via ski huttrail and jacinto from tram station...those would be my first steps to see if i really enjoy the winter hikes....
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

It is possible to hike the Ski Hut Trail or the trail from the tram to Mt. San Jacinto during much of the winter with just boots. Microspikes could increase your ease of travel enough to be worthwhile. I have certainly worn them on those trails on occasion. I definitely urge caution -- do not go into a situation in which a slip would represent probable dire consequences.

You mentioned an ice axe. I would advise learning its use and practicing self-arrest. Without that, I see nothing wrong with using it as a walking stick, but don''t take risks and expect it to save you.

That said, those are fun trails in the winter that don't require much experience on good days. Again, one needs to use caution. If it gets bad, there is no shame in turning around.
Zach

Post by Zach »

ugh, be very careful as those boots might give you a sense of false-security... i would definitely save for a pair of crampons or rent them from a retailer like REI if you're going to do anything with sustained uphill and snowy/icy conditions.