Hwy 39 2/16 for waterfall watching

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Family outing. Went to Big Tujunga canyon road first, which I had presumed was closed and it was...the car behind us continued on ultimately ignoring the sign. As we returned, the next car was the good ole sherrif with his next victim straight ahead. Ah, when there is a nice chance of tickets being handed out, the police patrol the road. Of course.

So off to Highway 39...visibility was low, but it was pretty neat as there were a couple waterfalls I had never seen before. The San Gabriel river was pretty much the same as the last time a heavy rain passed through.

We went up Glendora mountain road to Glendora ridge road. The fog was being whipped up from below over the ridge making for a slow drive. It was also cold enough, so being unprepared for anything else we just turned around at the San Dimas Expermental forest...but it wasnt raining much around these parts...some patches of snow here and there.

Took a brief walk, about 1/2 a mile with the family dog along the West Fork to the seasonal waterfall(100ft)...which was going very strong...cool.
The rain was really falling now in a big way and the river was moving! Some thunderclaps to boot. Especially thinking my dog wasnt cool with all this cold rain, we returned to the car. All in all 6 waterfalls sighted.

There was rockfall, but there was a Caltrans guy clearing up everything on the highway. Took one last look at the reservoir, wishing this place always looked like this. Only other thing to note is there were some gold miners at work along the east fork.