Snow coverage on Mt Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

hello,

has anyone hiked the Mt baldy trails like the DBB or the SKI HUT?
Can someone reports some snow conditions please??

thankx
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Seadweller - I would like to know too. there was a TR on here from a couple weeks ago, and the views over to Baldy Bowl revealed very little snow. I recently seen pictures from the DBB side, and the backbone was also barren. And over the last couple weeks, the snow coverage has only worsened (or lessened depending on how you want to look at it).

Here is one of the TR's from 10 days ago. as you can see, the bowl is very skimpy on snow, and it has only decreased since then.

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=1145

~EnFuego
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

On Saturday there was almost no snow until after the Ski Hut. Beyond the Bowl it was snow and Ice. It has been freezing every night since then and fairly cold during the day.

There was additional snow Sunday and Monday but it looks like much of that melted.
sleighty

Post by sleighty »

I was up there last Tuesday (20th?), and the left (South-ish) side of the bowl still had plenty of snow to go straight up that side of the bowl, and the whole back side of the bowl trail around the SW side up to the summit was still completely covered. It's thin in places though, especially around the talus at the bottom, which was quite nerve-racking, so it's doable, but carefully.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I miss Baldy! I think I may try it this Tuesday. If anyone has anymore recent info, like form hits warm weekend, I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping to need crampons...but can also bring snowshoes.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Liz - snowshoes will defiantely NOT be needed. Guaranteed or your money back.

Having crampons "atleast" with you, is a smart move.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks, EnFuego! I appreciate your reply. Happy hiking to you!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Augie

Post by Augie »

On Monday, Feb. 2, I hiked up Register Ridge to Mt. Harwood and Mt. Baldy. The Bowl is barren and the very top is not much better. I took crampons and there was one steep section about 200' below Baldy's summit where you would have needed crampons had there not been steps frozen in the hard snow by a previous climber. On the way down on this section, I did a sitting glissade (ice axe at the ready) part of the way. I also found some snow to practice self-arrest on. It was a beautiful outing. You're missing something if you've never been up this ridge (properly speaking it is the southeast spur of Mt. Harwood).

Here is some video from yesterday:

This first is a panorama:

My voice is drowned out by the heavy wind on Harwood in this next one:

This one shows how steep Register Ridge is:

Post by 406 »

^^^thanks for the vids. Looks dry on the south facing stuff, hopefully the up coming storms are big!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Let's hope!
Augie

Post by Augie »

I did a TR for SummitPost on my trip up Register Ridge on Feb. 2 with more detail than I set forth in this thread. http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/4 ... Ridge.html.