Bighorn Peak 2-15-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
LD

Post by LD »

Hello all,
Long time lurker first time poster.

After failing to reach Ice House Saddle Friday (my friend and I were in white out conditions at 6900' where the trail disappeared) I decided to try again today in better weather.
As usual the trail started out icy because of all the foot traffic but eventually turned into packed snow. I caught up to two other hikers who were headed to the saddle and we leapfrogged a few times until we met at 6900’ (where the large switchbacks start). Again the trail stopped so we started up the north slope keeping the drainage to our right. Even with snowshoes we would sometimes sink up to our knees.
Eventually we reached the saddle where the two hikers stopped and I continued up to Bighorn. I started straight up with the snow conditions perfect for snowshoeing. About halfway up the wind picked up and I would hit an occasional wind scoured snow patch where my shoes would barely make a dent.
After winding through the trees (the ice bombs were huge) I finally made the peak with great views all around. Unbelievable all the snow up there right now. So different then last year.
I had thoughts of doing Ontario but after seeing that ridge I quickly got over that. I would have needed some help breaking that trail. After taking some pics I headed down where I met a guy coming up who was going to do Cucamonga but after trying to do the regular trail route decided against it and came up Bighorn’s NE ridge.
I continued down to the saddle where there must have been 25 people milling around. :shock: I headed down the drainage where luckily no one had gone down yet and I was met with some awesome powder. In some places it was like swimming in snow up to your waist. Fantastic! I followed the drainage all the way back to the wilderness boundary and was back in the parking lot in no time where the usual parking lot high jinks were in full force.
After this next storm it will only get better up there :D

Ice House Saddle

Trail signs

Going up Bighorn

Killer Ice

Bighorn Peak

Ontario Ridge

Baldy

Cucamonga

Timber

Saddle crowd
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Nice pix! It's good that you gave up lurking. :D

Quite a crowd at the saddle. Ice House is never boring.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

That is just one of a helluva of a first time post.

Congratulations!!
Zach

Post by Zach »

that's sick! great TR :D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Welcome to the board.

Great TR, Nice Pic's.

If that's how deep it is now in the saddle I cannot wait to see what it will look like in the coming weeks.

Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

:D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dude!
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Thanks for the TR and pics. It's been a long time since I've seen that much snow at the saddle, and there is a lot more on the way!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice TR. Thanks for sharing and wonderful pictures. I can't believe the number of people on the saddle.
He219

Post by He219 »

Great report on conditions!
Welcome to SGMF
:D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

LD, I think Norma and I might have spoken to you at the saddle. if you're the guy standing next to the tree in my photo. We also met Melito Irpino (Patrick) and his friend. As was mentioned, it was a great day and the rime ice display was spectacular! My pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 895855641/
Dave
LD

Post by LD »

Hi Dave,
Yup, that was me just before heading down. Wasn't that rime ice at the top great? Never seen it so thick.
Did that crowd follow you guys up? That would have been something to see :shock:
Excellent slide show.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Nice pix, and excellent TR. 8)

Post by 406 »

Welcome. Nice first post!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Welcome to the forum...wintery pictures always welcome :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

What a winter! Powder, powder everywhere! :D

here are my pix from Sunday:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma81/BighornPeak#
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Norma - nice pics. Looks like a beautiful time. Thanks for sharing.
Melito Irpino

Post by Melito Irpino »

Dave G wrote:LD, I think Norma and I might have spoken to you at the saddle. if you're the guy standing next to the tree in my photo. We also met Melito Irpino (Patrick) and his friend. As was mentioned, it was a great day and the rime ice display was spectacular! My pix are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 895855641/
Dave
Dave - Nice meeting you and Norma. Cool Pics! Hope to see you up there again sometime. - Patrick