02-10-09 In The Shadows of Iron Mountain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Fellow SGMDF member “Liz” and I have been planning to reconnoiter a portion of the “Death March” ( https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=1173 ) for some time now and with an opportunity for a mid week hike as well as three days of fresh powder, I couldn’t resist hitting the mountains with Liz (Tuesday, February 10). We planned our hike from the East Fork San Gabriel/Heaton Flat TH to the Bridge to Nowhere in hopes of scouting/finding a XC route up to a ridgeline leading to South Hawkins and on to Mt Hawkins. With vital information from SGMDF member “BILL” (thanks for the phone call Bill) I knew the new snow would prove for some exciting times up the ridgeline, with expected elevations over 7,700’ at S. Hawkins.

Under pristine blue skies, no wind, and mild temps, we started our trip at 7:45am and promptly ended our trip to the Bridge at 7:58am. All the rain over the previous three days had raised the river levels about 2-2.5ft. The boulders we generally walk over at the very first river crossing were completely submerged under 8” of water. A log bridge about 50 yards down stream that I crossed two weeks previous (with Taco, Zach, Yoskolo and Lilbitmo) was washed away. Liz and I contemplated a wet crossing, but with 4-5 more crossings before the Bridge, and the high possibility that we would soon be hiking in the snow, that option didn’t sound too appealing. So we backtracked and decided to head up the Heaton Flat trail up to Bonita Peak and scout another XC portion of the “Death March” up to Iron Mountain.

We started up the Heaton Flat trail at 8:30 am and quickly gained the first saddle at 0.95 miles and 1,850 el gain. From here, under patches of snow, which turned to patches of dirt, we opted to bypass the trail and climb up the left ridgeline to Bonita Peak. We made Bonita Peak in 0.7 miles with 400’ el gain. Prior to and upon reaching Bonita Peak, we had absolutely tremendous views of Iron Mountain, Rattlesnake Peak, Mt Hawkins (I think), Mt Baldy, Lil Baldy, and so many other peaks and ridgelines under a complete fresh blanket of white powder. Words can not describe the beauty these ranges hold under fresh snow.

From Bonita Peak, we continued on the snow covered ridgeline, northeasterly in a rollercoaster fashion (picking up the trail again) topping out on 4 high points before reaching another saddle in 1.5 miles at el 4,600. This saddle dropped away on our left into Laurel Gulch and down to our right into Coldwater Canyon. Here, the trail headed down in “Private” Coldwater Canyon”, so Liz and I once again, ascended a ridgeline and quickly gained over 800’ el in 0.3 miles. We continued up to a small crest at el 5,400. Up to this point, there was very minimum bush whacking, but from this point further, it was futile to continue up the ridgeline. BUT!!!! From this vantage point, we were able to see below us a small snow covered use trail. So we quickly descended about 400’, found the trail and traversed northerly, along the north facing slope until we soon found ourselves in the shadows of Iron Mountain.

With time running out, we forced ourselves to turn around less than a few miles (best guess) from the summit of Iron Mtn. We found ourselves approximately a quarter mile further and about 1,400 feet above Allison Mine at our turn around point. We descended much the same way we came.

Sorry “Death March” gang, I was unable to check the talus descent from Iron Mtn to the Bridge as we discussed two weeks ago. I plan to make a bid for the summit of Iron Mtn very soon – snow covered preferred, but barren will be accepted. I will descend via the talus slope and report again.

Side notes:

Total Mileadge = 12.6
Elevation Gain = 5,320 feet
Elevation Loss = 5,300 feet

I would like to thank Liz for being a great hiking partner and commend her on her physical stamina (she’s a personal trainer and is all about fitness) and endurance. I’d also like to mention that Liz told me she would like to gain experience on XC travel, bush whacking, and snow travel. Well, she was a super sport and did very well on all aspects of this hike which included a lot of bush whacking, XC travel, route finding, and above all, very steep sections of ridgeline travel. As far as the hiking part goes, as fast as I move, she easily could have moved twice as fast.

We found fresh animal tracks in the new snow through out the trip (maybe 15 different sets of tracks) and twice, heard large animals moving through the thick brush near us.

Cougarmagic – maybe you can help ID a few of these tracks.

~EnFuego

Liz coming up one of the ridgelines:

Looking down into the East Fork and Shoemaker Road:

Looking down into Coldwater Canyon:

Our old friend - Mt Baldy:

Liz on another ridgeline:

Looking down on Shoemaker Road and the tunnel:

Our intended route up to S Hawkins:

Iron Mtn:

Baldy:

Another shot at Iron:

Cat print?

Different print:

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Damn that's a lot of snow... 8)

Post by 406 »

nice work. Baldy looks nice!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Thanks David and Liz for starting the scouting. Nice TR, nice Pictures.

I'm hoping this ACL feels better because I'm tempted to go up the Rattlesnake Peak area Sunday - but it's supposed to rain all weekend.

I will put on my water shoes for the one river crossing, then climb the embankment and then put on my CX hiking boots to go uphill towards Rattlesnake and S. Hawkins.

All the way around nice report.

:D :D :D
AW~

Post by AW~ »

EnFuego wrote: Image
nice view.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks, EnFuego, for writing that nice report, and thank you for "speaking" of me in such a flattering, kind way. You and I both know I struggled a bit with some of the steep uphill bushwhacking!

I'm very surprised to learn that we gained as much elevation as we did. I don't know about you, but my body feels great today, and I was able to do a tough leg workout at the gym this afternoon. I'm sure you're fine b/c you are pretty darn strong, too!

Here's to more hikes together in our local mountains, and doing some good scouting for our epic death march!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Did'nt even think about the run-off. :shock: Glad you had a productive hike. Nice pictures and TR. 8)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Nice TR!! Great pics too.

I have some questions about getting in shape for Death March type hikes...but I'll start a new thread for that.

Tracks - if those tracks were on a trail or road where people would take dogs, I might lean toward dog, just because that would be the most common. If it was on a ridgeline, off trail, I would say lion. It's hard to tell with the loose dirt. Whatever it was, it was traveling at a higher rate of speed than a walk - the toes are splayed, and there's a bit of a skid mark.

Lucky you to get out on such a beautiful day - I was gazing longingly at the mountains from the third floor of the Beverly Hills courthouse, where I am currently stuck in jury duty!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

cougarmagic wrote:Tracks - if those tracks were on a trail or road where people would take dogs, I might lean toward dog, just because that would be the most common. If it was on a ridgeline, off trail, I would say lion. It's hard to tell with the loose dirt. Whatever it was, it was traveling at a higher rate of speed than a walk - the toes are splayed, and there's a bit of a skid mark.
It was off trail, on a ridgeline where a second ridge joined the first and created a sandy pad on top.
cougarmagic wrote:Lucky you to get out on such a beautiful day - I was gazing longingly at the mountains from the third floor of the Beverly Hills courthouse, where I am currently stuck in jury duty!
Good thing you weren't gazing out from the third floor behind bars, stuck in jail, longingly wishing for an escape!!! :shock:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

so were you intending on going up the normal use trail? was it covered in brush at somepoint, which is why you descended to another use trail? just wondering b/c that standard use trail is normally not too bad brush wise, although I don't know what the snow did to it!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

wrote:so were you intending on going up the normal use trail? was it covered in brush at somepoint, which is why you descended to another use trail? just wondering b/c that standard use trail is normally not too bad brush wise, although I don't know what the snow did to it!
Well, I haven't been past Bonita Peak since I was about 10 years old, so I wasn't sure what kind of trail I would be on past Bonita Peak. I've been hearing from a couple people that it's a bushwhack from just past Bonita Peak to top of Iron Mountain. So that's what I expected, until I happened to see a use trail. This use trail is actually quite over grown. But, not overgrown in the sense that the trail is blocked and you have to hack your way through it. It's overgrown in the sense that you are walking through a series of vegetated tunnels. I was actually quite happy to hike through it. With the fresh snow, all the branches were wet and shiny, tops of all the leaves and bush clusters were covered in snow and it was quite different than a standard mundane dirt trail. I enjoyed it.
norma r

Post by norma r »

en fuego,

not sure why, but the pix on your posts never open up for me. a box on top left with the red x is all i get. could any techies out there tell me what i can do besides imagine what the pix must look like?

:( visions of amazing snow covered peaks...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

EnFuego wrote: It was off trail, on a ridgeline where a second ridge joined the first and created a sandy pad on top.
Then congrats - you got yourself a cougar!! Good sized one, too - thanks for including the chapstick for reference.

Ridgelines are popular travel routes for cats. Any junction or saddle should see high traffic from all animals, too.

By the way, I LOVE pics of animal tracks and will never get tired or bored of them - so keep them coming!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

cougarmagic wrote:By the way, I LOVE pics of animal tracks and will never get tired or bored of them - so keep them coming!
Here's a Yak print...
Image :wink:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp wrote: Here's a Yak print...
Wow - and out of its natural habitat, too! These are normally found at higher elevations, in ice and snow conditions. They mainly feed on REI gift cards....
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

cougarmagic wrote:
HikeUp wrote: Here's a Yak print...
Wow - and out of its natural habitat, too! These are normally found at higher elevations, in ice and snow conditions. They mainly feed on REI gift cards....
Definitely out of its normal range, but the green droppings are unmistakable.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

AlanK wrote: Definitely out of its normal range, but the green droppings are unmistakable.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Liz

Post by Liz »

Sorry it took so long...but I wanted to share a few more pics from my hike with EnFuego. I finally found the time and patience to sort through my pics and get organized. I suppose that's what cool, overcast Sunday afternoons are for.
www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 835590135/
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

I know Enfuego can be a "Wise Guy" but you didn't have to knock him out Liz, were you able to revive him or did you just leave laying there in the snow on his back and wake him up on the way out?

:wink:
Liz

Post by Liz »

Yeah, EnFuego is a wise guy! And since he dragged my butt up a ridge that required my arms to help pull me up, while I got pierced by many desert plants...I HAD to knock him down. Then I just stepped over his body and kept hiking. Ha ha!
Zach

Post by Zach »

hehe you must have said something funny right before landing the blow... he's smiling.
Liz

Post by Liz »

He must have been happy that I didn't knock him OFF the ridge...especially after he found the trail we COULD have taken up! Ha ha. Actually, we were both in good moods, so happy to be outside, under a clear, blue sky!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Was that picture before or after you kicked my snowballs? I think I was smiling because you managed to miss one.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hmmmm...I think it was AFTER I kicked your snowballs.