FORUM MEET-UP --> East Fork S.G. to Bridge2Nowhere UPDATE

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

HikeUp wrote:Hmm...neat idea. I'm interested, but won't know until Wednesday if it's a possibility or not. The river will be high won't it?
I'm out.
Bill

Post by Bill »

EnFuego wrote:
Bill wrote:A definate maybe. :) Did you decide on 8:30 then?
Bill - I think as a whole, we would like to leave the trail head at 8am sharp. If you are a definate, but can only make 8:30am, I'm sure we can accomodate that.

By the way Bill, are you the same Bill that picked up my snowboards?
Yes. That's me. By the way, thank you. All the gear was in great shape and my boys have gotten some good use out of it! 8)
Does'nt look like I will make this event, but I hiked that same stretch last year as a hike through to Vincent Gap (an over-nighter)and had a blast. Planning on doing it again this spring. Probably won't do the lilbitmo version though. :shock:
Zach

Post by Zach »

TacoDelRio wrote:I shall pass as I finally have hours at work, and need to do a truffle shuffle of sorts to get a car deal.
what the heck? what's all this about truffles and car deals? haha you guys are nuts!

I'm in. No gf though, the scenery should nice, even without her :lol:

btw, is it possible to go all the way through to the 2? We should do that instead of an in-n-out. the narrows might be a tad wet though.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Zach wrote:btw, is it possible to go all the way through to the 2? We should do that instead of an in-n-out. the narrows might be a tad wet though.
Its possible. And it will be wet. But what do we do once we get to the 2? We need car shuttle.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I just quit my job tonight so I'm in. Fuck it. 8) Hope that water is higher than the grass in Germany.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Isn't that a town in Thailand - Phuket, I didn't know you had to quit your job to get there. :lol:

Glad you will be joining us but bummed that you had to lose a job to make it.
Bill

Post by Bill »

EnFuego wrote:
Zach wrote:btw, is it possible to go all the way through to the 2? We should do that instead of an in-n-out. the narrows might be a tad wet though.
Its possible. And it will be wet. But what do we do once we get to the 2? We need car shuttle.
Hey, if you guys make it all the way to Hwy 2, I'll pick you up and take you down! :shock: Vincent Gap I presume?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

More job ops in Thailand.

Just a slightly long walk. 8)
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:I just quit my job tonight so I'm in. Fuck it. 8) Hope that water is higher than the grass in Germany.
You mean "F-" it. Glad to have you along. Sorry to hear about the job situation, but you deserved better any way.

We'll talk on the trail about some job oppurtunities I know of.

Tailand aint so bad a place anyhoo. Lots of #@$&, $#^&@, and much more.
Zach

Post by Zach »

what's the count up to on people who are going?
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I had a chat with the bungee jump folks, and they said their reservations are full for the day on Saturday. He said that there's usually time at the end of the day for walk-ins, but we're talking 4-5pm here, then hiking out by headlamp.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Bert- thanks for the heads-up.

I'm thinking of calling them myself and asking what the stream crossings are like. If the stream crossings are all about wading and getting totally wet, I think the group is going to veer off and head up to Bonita Peak and either drop down into Cold Water Canyon or cross country to Iron Mountain.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I think Coldwater's southern entrance is gated off. It's easily passable, but not legal. Widman Ranch is in there, I believe, as well as Thompson Ranch further south at the confluence.
Zach

Post by Zach »

i've heard from people they're not too friendly when it comes to hikers. what's the deal?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

EnFuego wrote: If the stream crossings are all about wading and getting totally wet, I think the group is going to veer off and head up to Bonita Peak and either drop down into Cold Water Canyon or cross country to Iron Mountain.
I think that let's me out. You guys have a good time and say a little prayer for my knee.
Zach wrote:i've heard from people they're not too friendly when it comes to hikers. what's the deal?
That area used to be open, and in fact the USFS was promoting it as a hike (Heaton Flat to Coldwater/Allison/Heaton Saddle to Coldwater Canyon to Cattle Canyon to E Fork, back to Heaton Flat) for a while. They even fixed up the trail from the saddle to the canyon bottom. There must have been some vandalism/theft or something. Now, the landowners have closed that whole canyon. You can still drop in above Widman Ranch, but you have to just go back the way you came (or do something truly epic like ascend to San Antonio Ridge). Personally, I don't think you're missing all that much. It's just a long, boring walk on a dirt road. There are a couple of nice spots in the canyon, but overall it's not a great hike.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
EnFuego wrote: If the stream crossings are all about wading and getting totally wet, I think the group is going to veer off and head up to Bonita Peak and either drop down into Cold Water Canyon or cross country to Iron Mountain.
I think that let's me out. You guys have a good time and say a little prayer for my knee.
I recall my statement. Looks liek we are going to the Narrows to scout something Lilbitmo is interested in looking at.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

HJ wrote
I'll say a little prayer for your sanity, to many days with out hiking will make a man go mad - real hiking not knee repair strolling - :D :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The Narrows is cool. I'm up. I went there once before but turned back after a mile, if that.
Dirt_Poor

Post by Dirt_Poor »

:( unfortunatly i was unable to attend due to the Forest Service Job fair this morning, oh well im sure you guys had a great time. maybe next time.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Dirt_Poor wrote::( unfortunatly i was unable to attend due to the Forest Service Job fair this morning, oh well im sure you guys had a great time. maybe next time.
No worries - we did a little recon for another hike coming up and basically had mellow 10 mile hike or so.

We did see some nice nuggets though. :lol:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

EnFuego

R u posting TR or just going to let it lie?
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

lilbitmo wrote:EnFuego

R u posting TR or just going to let it lie?
Relax Kimosabi. I had to leave the office. I will post TR on Tuesday.