Big Sale!

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

lilbitmo wrote:One thing I left out, there's Pine Mountain inbetween Dawson and Harwood.

I'm in for any and all tough loops, that have not been done.

Now can I get back to sleep? :D
That would be a heck of a hike! :shock: I was with you except for the Baden Powell part. I think in that order would make me take a dirt nap! :lol: :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I got into climbing partially because hiking bored the hell outta me.

There should be a hike where you meet various wizards and shit along the way, and they issue you challenges on your QUEST. You can always just walk past them or shoot them, but that's kinda cheating.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:There should be a hike where you meet various wizards and shit along the way, and they issue you challenges on your QUEST. You can always just walk past them or shoot them, but that's kinda cheating.
Shooting is cheating? Dang. I've been doing it wrong for all these years...
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

lilbitmo wrote:Let's go one better Ze, let's go Baldy, West Baldy, Iron, Baden Powell, Wright Mountain, Dawson Peak and Harwood and call it a day.

I'm in for any of that. Need two weeks to train for it though.

Let me know.

Lilbitmo

:D
How about this:

Park at Vincent Gap
Descend East Fork until you reach Vincent Gulch / Prairie Fork
Ascend Pine Mt Ridge to Pine
Head over to Dawson
Descend Dawson Trail and down Fish Fork to Fish Fork campground.
Descend to Iron Fork.
Ascend S,SE ridges to Ross Mt.
Ascend to Baden Powell.
Down to Vincent Gap
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:There should be a hike where you meet various wizards and shit along the way, and they issue you challenges on your QUEST. You can always just walk past them or shoot them, but that's kinda cheating.
Why would we have to sh*t along the way? Would this be sorta like marking our territory?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

How about this:

Park at Vincent Gap
Head over to Dawson
Descend to Iron Fork.
Ascend to Baden Powell.
Down to Vincent Gap
We could park one car in Wrightwood, one at the Vincent Gap. Go up the trail in Wrightwood that leads to the PCT, Grab Wright Mtn, Pine, Dawson, Baldy, West Baldy, Iron, then down to the narrows cross over ascend either Ross Mnt ridge and Baden-Powell or go west up South Mt Hawkins Ridge to Hawkins, Throop, Mt Burnham, then Baden Powell and down. :lol:
Now that's a day, either way I'm in.

Are you coming to the Bridge this Sat? We can talk about it there.

Thanks
Lilbitmo
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Let's see how far off topic we can get this thread...

Reminds me of a thread from 2007...

http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.ph ... ight=#9623

Suffice it to say, I'll be cheering you guys on from the bar.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

That's what happens when you make plans to go to a bridge to "Nowhere" :lol:

You end up going everywhere - or dreaming of it as "EnFuego" has indicated.

I like that thread, AlanK and Rick M are capable from what I've seen of their past posts.

Did Travis ever make the 13 peaks or did he quit at 11 and call it a day?

What's the list of the 13 - Sugarloaf, Ontario, Big Horn, Cucamonga, Etiwanda, Timber, Telegraph, Thunder,Harwood, Dawson, Pine, Baldy, West Badly? is my guess :roll:
Zach

Post by Zach »

lilbitmo wrote:
How about this:

Park at Vincent Gap
Head over to Dawson
Descend to Iron Fork.
Ascend to Baden Powell.
Down to Vincent Gap
We could park one car in Wrightwood, one at the Vincent Gap. Go up the trail in Wrightwood that leads to the PCT, Grab Wright Mtn, Pine, Dawson, Baldy, West Baldy, Iron, then down to the narrows cross over ascend either Ross Mnt ridge and Baden-Powell or go west up South Mt Hawkins Ridge to Hawkins, Throop, Mt Burnham, then Baden Powell and down. :lol:
Now that's a day, either way I'm in.

Are you coming to the Bridge this Sat? We can talk about it there.

Thanks
Lilbitmo
This hike sounds sick! Let's do that instead of Bridge to Nowhere, I've done the bridge a billion times... this would be sweet!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I'm up for a day of hell. Lets do it. In late March though. I got some secret stuff going on until first weekend in March. This weekend hike is jsut a quickie to the bridge. I need to be back by 3-4'ish.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I'd love to join a "day of hell." Can I maybe tag along, boys?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Zack and Liz - I will work with Ze to see when we can do this but it will not be this weekend, not enough time to prepare for that much mileage.

I think there's one or two other folks that may join in.

One other thing we should consider is bailout points - it's always more successful if we have a plan that allows people that have hit the wall to head out on there own. The other thing we may consider is putting water in stashed spots so we don't have to carry as much up the major climbs. I did this with another group in Mid Oct before we did the 9 peaks hike along the San Bernardino Peak Divide Trail - we went up two weeks prior to the hike and put 2 litre bladders in some rocks below one of the summits so that we could just grab it and go.

I'm thinking the first or second weekend of March would be perfect - snow levels should be at or around the summits of the big boys - Baldy, West Baldy, Baden Powell, and most of the other summits will have very little snow or ice, mostly on the North facing sides and slopes.

I have not been on Iron or anything between that and Baden Powell but have done the hike from West to East from Islip Saddle to Baden Powell and down to Vincent Gap in winter of 2006 solo with my dog Lucy, that part will be ice if it continues to snow or stay cold.

I will pull out my GPS software and start plotting things to see what the mileage is, the Profile, etc... etc.. ect...

Let's plan at least one difficult hike before that so we can all make sure we really want to do this.

Any ideas or any information for the stuff West of Iron to the narrows, up to Mount Hawkins South would be greatly appreciated. From there is fairly straigth forward - does anyone know if there's a trial leading away from the Narrows up to Mt Hawkins South?

Thanks

Lilbitmo
:?:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

EnFuego wrote:
Why would we have to sh*t along the way? Would this be sorta like marking our territory?
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You, sir, have earned 2 points.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I'm hiking Rabbit and Villager peaks this saturday, so no Bridge for me.

When the snow/temp permits, I'll be doing Manker-Baldy-Iron-Baldy-Manker, not sure if anyone is up for that.

For sure, the Baldy Loop variations are the best for multiple bail out points.

I have not yet reach S mt Hawkins, Mt Hawkins, or Ross, so I would love to get those. not sure if its feasible to ascend ross from east fork. but all that will have to wait for the snow to go.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

BTW, I kweet my yob last night, so if anyone wants to buy any of my shit...

BUY NAO
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:
EnFuego wrote:
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You, sir, have earned 2 points.
Would these be DS points?????
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

lilbitmo wrote:Zack and Liz - I will work with Ze to see when we can do this but it will not be this weekend, not enough time to prepare for that much mileage.

I think there's one or two other folks that may join in.

One other thing we should consider is bailout points - it's always more successful if we have a plan that allows people that have hit the wall to head out on there own. The other thing we may consider is putting water in stashed spots so we don't have to carry as much up the major climbs. I did this with another group in Mid Oct before we did the 9 peaks hike along the San Bernardino Peak Divide Trail - we went up two weeks prior to the hike and put 2 litre bladders in some rocks below one of the summits so that we could just grab it and go.

I'm thinking the first or second weekend of March would be perfect - snow levels should be at or around the summits of the big boys - Baldy, West Baldy, Baden Powell, and most of the other summits will have very little snow or ice, mostly on the North facing sides and slopes.

I have not been on Iron or anything between that and Baden Powell but have done the hike from West to East from Islip Saddle to Baden Powell and down to Vincent Gap in winter of 2006 solo with my dog Lucy, that part will be ice if it continues to snow or stay cold.

I will pull out my GPS software and start plotting things to see what the mileage is, the Profile, etc... etc.. ect...

Let's plan at least one difficult hike before that so we can all make sure we really want to do this.

Any ideas or any information for the stuff West of Iron to the narrows, up to Mount Hawkins South would be greatly appreciated. From there is fairly straigth forward - does anyone know if there's a trial leading away from the Narrows up to Mt Hawkins South?

Thanks

Lilbitmo
:?:

Let's move this topic over to Plans and Partners, under a new heading "I'M MORE OF A MAN THAN YOU ARE HIKE". Except for you Liz, we make exception.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: