TR: Mt Lukens Friday 1/23/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Wonderful views! I think I can see Catalina!

:lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I voted "yes" but wanted to be able to vote "are you crazy?" as well. :D

I did a counter-clockwise loop from Deukmejian Park last week. Is that where you started? (I threw a map in with my pictures.)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

AlanK wrote:I voted "yes" but wanted to be able to vote "are you crazy?" as well. :D

I did a counter-clockwise loop from Deukmejian Park last week. Is that where you started? (I threw a map in with my pictures.)
For some reason I have always done it as a CCW loop, but yeah I started at the parking lot Deukmejian Wilderness Park.

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've never done the entire loop from Deukmejian. I've done all the legs at various times, but not the entire loop. Some day. First I need my knee to heal up. Over two months and I still can't hike normally. :(

"Dead Pine Tree" jct. I know exactly what you're talking about. When I was a teenager, that was a beautiful Coulter Pine and a great, shady rest break spot. You could see the tree silhouetted on the ridge from miles away as you drove the 210 E toward Sunland/Tujunga.

On the "Dead Pine Tree" jct (CVT) leg of the trip, what kind of shape was the upper portion, beyond the boundary of Deukmejian, in? The good folks at Deukmejian show the trail abruptly ending at the boundary. I half expected them to show the edge of the earth or at least say "there be monsters here." :D
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I've never done the entire loop from Deukmejian. I've done all the legs at various times, but not the entire loop. Some day. First I need my knee to heal up. Over two months and I still can't hike normally. :(
That is no good... What's the Dr say? PT, watch and wait, or ?
Hikin_Jim wrote:"Dead Pine Tree" jct. I know exactly what you're talking about. When I was a teenager, that was a beautiful Coulter Pine and a great, shady rest break spot. You could see the tree silhouetted on the ridge from miles away as you drove the 210 E toward Sunland/Tujunga.
"Dead Pine Jct" kinda a spin on "Big Pine", "Lone Pine" etc... One of the droughts killed it, t'was is and continues to be a bummer I liked taking a rest there
Hikin_Jim wrote:On the "Dead Pine Tree" jct (CVT) leg of the trip, what kind of shape was the upper portion, beyond the boundary of Deukmejian, in? The good folks at Deukmejian show the trail abruptly ending at the boundary. I half expected them to show the edge of the earth or at least say "there be monsters here." :D
There's a long sad story with that but the CV trailbuilders failed to get FS permission to construct said trail outside of the city park and the FS was a bit miffed, I noticed it was quietly removed from the map

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:...I need my knee to heal up. Over two months and I still can't hike normally. :(
That is no good... What's the Dr say? PT, watch and wait, or ?
So far, the Doc has said basically "give it time and take anti-inflammatories." I'm doing some leg lifts on my own, but that's my only PT. Maybe I need to schedule a follow up visit. Better do it now while I still have a job and benefits (my company is going to be doing a layoff of an as yet undisclosed but sizeable percentage of the workforce).
mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:"Dead Pine Tree" jct. I know exactly what you're talking about. When I was a teenager, that was a beautiful Coulter Pine and a great, shady rest break spot. You could see the tree silhouetted on the ridge from miles away as you drove the 210 E toward Sunland/Tujunga.
"Dead Pine Jct" kinda a spin on "Big Pine", "Lone Pine" etc... One of the droughts killed it, t'was is and continues to be a bummer I liked taking a rest there
Do you remember exactly when it died? Mid 90's?
mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:On the "Dead Pine Tree" jct (CVT) leg of the trip, what kind of shape was the upper portion, beyond the boundary of Deukmejian, in? The good folks at Deukmejian show the trail abruptly ending at the boundary. I half expected them to show the edge of the earth or at least say "there be monsters here." :D
There's a long sad story with that but the CV trailbuilders failed to get FS permission to construct said trail outside of the city park and the FS was a bit miffed, I noticed it was quietly removed from the map
What shape is the trail in beyond the border? Last I was through there it needed a little "TLC."

As an aside, it always strikes me as a little bit petty for the FS to complain when people take on trail projects (unless they do something harmful like encroach on special habitat) when the FS* is no longer in a position to do so.

HJ

*except for unpaid volunteers from the community that coordinate with the FS.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:What shape is the trail in beyond the border? Last I was through there it needed a little "TLC."
I thought the CV trail was in pretty good shape all the way up.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

AlanK wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:What shape is the trail in beyond the border? Last I was through there it needed a little "TLC."
I thought the CV trail was in pretty good shape all the way up.
There are a few spots that need attention and it is getting a bit wild and woolly in places

But in general it's still in good shape.

Matt
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote: So far, the Doc has said basically "give it time and take anti-inflammatories." I'm doing some leg lifts on my own, but that's my only PT. Maybe I need to schedule a follow up visit. Better do it now while I still have a job and benefits (my company is going to be doing a layoff of an as yet undisclosed but sizeable percentage of the workforce).

Hummm they sent you to an Orthopedist? Exams, X-ray etc...

I know these things do take time and it can be frustrating

I gave my right knee a good whack which resulted in bursitis that wouldn't quit, it even had to be drained several times...

Eventually it subsided but it took months
Hikin_Jim wrote: Do you remember exactly when it died? Mid 90's?

Can't say exactly but after the winter of 95' for sure

Maybe 98' ?
Hikin_Jim wrote: As an aside, it always strikes me as a little bit petty for the FS to complain when people take on trail projects (unless they do something harmful like encroach on special habitat) when the FS* is no longer in a position to do so.
I don't think it's being petty per se, but rather it was done outside of the proper channels

Ordinarily NEPA assessments, biological, archeological surveys would be done , it would have to listed as a proposed project, allow any objections to be raised and addressed etc...

This process would take several years, but this is what the law requires and they have been told repeatedly by the courts and congress they must comply

When they don't they get their asses hauled into court by various groups with the Forest Service and the Forest Supervisor being sued personally

So I don't blame the forest service, they have the impossible task of trying to please everyone, which is impossible.

No matter what they do they are going to piss someone off

Matt
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

mattmaxon wrote:I arrived at the Summit of Mt Lukens my 1011th recorded trip to the summit

1011th summits of Lukens????? Is that a typo? If not, congratulations :shock:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

It's my guess that Matt means 10th or 11th, otherwise if he went once a week that would put him going there every week for 12 years and one month worth of ascents.

If he did go 1011 times, YOU THE MAN! :D :D :D :D :D
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

yup no typo... 1011th trip is correct

These are recorded trips, it is more (200-300 or more), and it doesn't include walking by the summit, near it or otherwise

it's shoe leather on the"Sister Elsie" 5074

I've slowed in recent years having gotten into canyoneering, but I still get up there 6-12 times a year :lol:

I like to think I know Mt Lukens better than anyone alive

I got a personalized license plate for my truck for my 1000th trip "MTLUKNS"

Matt
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

well someone sure likes hiking! :shock:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I might have suggested that 1011 is only 11 in base 10. :D

Seriously, congratulations are definitely in order. Now, if you had only removed one piece of metal from the top on each trip, the summit would be clean! 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: So far, the Doc has said basically "give it time and take anti-inflammatories." I'm doing some leg lifts on my own, but that's my only PT. Maybe I need to schedule a follow up visit. Better do it now while I still have a job and benefits (my company is going to be doing a layoff of an as yet undisclosed but sizeable percentage of the workforce).
Hummm they sent you to an Orthopedist? Exams, X-ray etc...
I've just seen my GP. I got an X-ray, which didn't show anything. My doc says I sprained it.
mattmaxon wrote:I know these things do take time and it can be frustrating. I gave my right knee a good whack which resulted in bursitis that wouldn't quit, it even had to be drained several times... Eventually it subsided but it took months
:shock: Um, thanks for that reasurrance.
For me, so far 2 months, 3 days, and 9 hours but who's counting? :cry:
mattmaxon wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: As an aside, it always strikes me as a little bit petty for the FS to complain when people take on trail projects (unless they do something harmful like encroach on special habitat) when the FS* is no longer in a position to do so.
I don't think it's being petty per se, but rather it was done outside of the proper channels.
Ordinarily NEPA assessments, biological, archeological surveys would be done , it would have to listed as a proposed project, allow any objections to be raised and addressed etc...
This process would take several years, but this is what the law requires and they have been told repeatedly by the courts and congress they must comply.
When they don't they get their asses hauled into court by various groups with the Forest Service and the Forest Supervisor being sued personally.
So I don't blame the forest service, they have the impossible task of trying to please everyone, which is impossible.
No matter what they do they are going to piss someone off
Points well taken. Bad example on my part. Perhaps a better example is when hikers do a little trail maintenance on their own and rangers kvetch about it. I basically feel that when the FS doesn't have the resources to do something that needs to get done, look the other way when someone does it for you.

I haven't necessarily thought that through, but that's my gut reaction.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

hvydrt wrote:
mattmaxon wrote:I arrived at the Summit of Mt Lukens my 1011th recorded trip to the summit
1011th summits of Lukens????? Is that a typo? If not, congratulations :shock:
I live near the mouth of Haines Canyon. I don't know that I've summited as many times as Matt (no where near it I'm sure), but the number of times I've been on approaches to Lukens is probably something like Matt's number. My folks moved to La Crescenta in 1981, and then when I moved out in 1986, I got a place in Tujunga. Between my LC and TJ stints (about 28 years), I'm sure I've been on that mountain more than 1,000 times. Many is the week I've hiked up Haines Canyon 3x/week.

Not to take away from Matt's acheivement, but rather to say that number (1,011) isn't unreasonable if Lukens is in your backyard. What really impresses me is that he's kept track of all his hikes.