Mt. Emma and Old Mt. Emma: 01-25-2009

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Mt. Emma and Old Mt. Emma this morning. I was in the clouds all the way from my car to about halfway between Mt. Emma and Old Mt. Emma where the clouds opened up to some pretty nice views. Cold and windy, but a pretty darn nice day for a hike.

Parked at a turn out on the north side of Mt. Emma Road 2 miles east of Angeles Forest Highway. Picked up an obvious use trail on the south side of the road which leads to a ridge that goes directly southeast to Mt. Emma. From there you head northeast and follow the roller coaster ridge over to Old Mt. Emma. After taking in the sweeping 360 degree views, I headed down a steep motorcycle trail on north-northwest side of Old Emma back to the road and then walked along the side of the road for 1.6 miles back to the car. About 5.3 miles and 2000 ft. total gain round trip. I followed Bob Burd's route. Lots of loop options to climb these 2. Cross country travel is fairly easy due to the almost complete lack of brush - I think the area burned pretty good sometime in the last 10 years or so.

No view from Emma...
Benchmark thingy on Emma...
Cool tree on Emma...

View south from ridge...

Summit of Old Mt. Emma...

The motorcycles are making a pretty good mess of the hillsides around this area. 4 or 5 different tracks heading up to Old Emma...
4 or 5 tracks coming down the northwest side of Old Emma...

More pics.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cole Pt., Mt Emma, Old Mt. Emma, sounds like you're really hitting up that area. Pretty cool.

Darn motorcycles. Are they even legal there?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Darn motorcycles. Are they even legal there?
Dunno, but I did see this sign next to a 6' long stretch of fence (people are pretty clever...they went around this formidable obstacle)...
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Maybe we can get a bounty on them - knock the riders off and turn the bikes in for a reward?

Make sure you bury the bodies though, we need the nutrients for the soil!

:D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:...people are pretty clever...they went around this formidable obstacle
Gasp! Evil geniuses at work. If only they had used their powers for good.

Post by 406 »

scary
AW~

Post by AW~ »

looks like you picked the right day to do that hike...nice cloud cover. Speaking of bikes, a couple sport motorcycles passed by the Fall Creek fireroad(they arent allowed there either)...I imagine those full speedsters would like your trail.

What place can a motocross rider go to? I know the Hungry Valley OHV, but that place the only time I went on a offday had a good number of people...so maybe this is a place they go to. Note: Im not advocating that the forest service turn Mt.Emma into an OHV loop.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp, you seem to be on a peak bagging mission up the AFH! Have you hiked up Pacifico and/or Bare mt before?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

wrote:HikeUp, you seem to be on a peak bagging mission up the AFH! Have you hiked up Pacifico and/or Bare mt before?
I'm a shameless peak bagger, what can I say. The HPS peaks I am missing in that area are Hillyer, Bare and Round Top. Will probably do Round Top from Mill Creek Summit and combine it with my 2nd time on Granite. Would like to combine Hillyer and Bare, but will wait till late spring or summer.

I'm waiting for you and your group to combine Cole and Pacifico! :wink: