Mt. Gleason and Messenger Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Yesterday I drove to Mill Creek Summit and left onto the Mt. Gleason Road. About 7 miles in, I parked just past the state prison facility and hopped on the PCT. This was a combination trail run and hike. There was a lot hard snow on the trail below the summit ridge but nothing that couldn't be handled in trail runners. There was a very cold wind blowing throughout the day, but otherwise the weather was perfect. Great views north toward the desert from the PCT below Gleason.

After Gleason I continued down to Messenger Flats and then up to Messenger Peak (6015'): http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn29 ... ngerPk.jpg The views were just stupendous on this clearest of days: south past Mt. Wilson to the ocean and Catalina; west towards Magic Mountain and the far ranges: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn29 ... ngerPk.jpg

Not another soul seen during my most enjoyable 4 hours out there.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Sounds like a really nice time. Nice pictures too. I should start thinking about doing some of that PCT - would be a nice goal to set.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Augie wrote:...There was a very cold wind blowing throughout the day, but otherwise the weather was perfect...

...Not another soul seen during my most enjoyable 4 hours out there.
Nice pictures. Sounds like my trip up there last weekend - windy, cold and I didn't see a soul. Views to the south were incredible from the peak too. The weather may be warm the last couple of weeks but the views have been incredible from the mountain tops!
Augie

Post by Augie »

EnFuego wrote: I should start thinking about doing some of that PCT - would be a nice goal to set.
From Mill Creek Summit, a great hike along the PCT is to Mt. Pacifico. I don't know what conditions on the trail are in that direction right now. From the Gleason side of Angeles Forest Hwy where I was, it looked like Pacifico had a lot of snow on it still.
Augie

Post by Augie »

HikeUp wrote: Sounds like my trip up there last weekend - windy, cold and I didn't see a soul.
Forget to mention I saw a number of bear pawprints on Messenger Peak. Guess they like the views to!