Hunters

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat »

here is an older shooting zone map that I've had for some time. The boundary's may have changed

Michael
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thank you for the map!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Doug Forbes wrote:Suffice it to say that target shooting is in fact illegal in our local National Forests except in established formal firing ranges.
I believe this is the case for all of Los Angeles County. I do all my informal range shooting in the desert in San Bernardino County.
the extreme trash problem and the fact that many people were engaging in dangerous and sustained rapid fire marathons with military weapons such as Ak's, SKS's, M1's, etc. using full metal jacket rounds
Trash is always a problem at informal ranges. I don't know why. Sometime this winter I would like to bring a trailer and a couple of buddies to my Secret Spot in the desert to clean it up before it, too, gets closed down.

Most of what I shoot are military rifles (hence the moniker, simonov, inventor of the SKS). Almost all ammunition for these is FMJ, but that doesn't cause any problems. The problems are caused by steel jacketed or steel core ammunition, common with military surplus, that can make sparks when it hits rocks. Ferrous jacket or core ammunition is banned in most outdoor ranges in SoCal. Angeles Ranges will kick you out if they find it in your range bag (they have magnets on all the benches). I shoot a lot of this stuff, but always out in the desert.
I am an avid hunter (mostly small game/game birds) and fisherman (when I cut a slice of time from my mountaineering & hiking schedule), but I must say that I have at times felt uncomfortable (fear really) when I find myself in close proximity to some of the deer hunters I run into out in the San Gabriels.
I don't wish to step on any toes here, but this can be a problem. My father, who was a cop at the time and so had people shooting at him for a living, gave up deer hunting before I was born because he felt it was unsafe (this was in NorCal around 1960). But years later as a Wilderness Volunteer in San Gorgonio, patrolling on opening weekend, I realized most of the hunters you encountered in the high country were sober and safe, compared to those who were hunting down in the areas easily accessible by car. Most that I spoke with were up on the high trails precisely to get away from the lower elevation hunters.

Most accidental firearms-related deaths in this country are due to hunting accidents. On the other hand, the actual numbers would surprise you: fewer than a thousand accidental deaths per year. People driving cars manage to kill 40,000 a year.

Personally, while I don't think the mountains should be avoided during the season, I think the best bet is to start your hikes later in the morning and end them earlier in the afternoon, while the light is good. Get up high as quickly as possible, and don't loiter around in car accessible areas as the light fails.
Nunc est bibendum