Bailey Canyon to Jones Peak

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I hiked Bailey Canyon to Jones Peak, with my hubby, for the first time today. We didn't have a lot of time, and we didn't want to deal with snow so we thought we'd check out this trail.

We wanted to make a loop out of it, returning via the Mt. Wilson Trail,but that trail was closed today. I was aware that there are intermittent, mid-week closures, but wasn't sure what today's status was. Luckily we ran into a nice hiker on Jones Peak who knew for certain that the trail was closed. So, out and back it was.

It made for a nice workout, although I always want to do more. We did about 6.8 miles, and gained/lost about 2,265 feet. The view form Jones was nice, even with the haze. We saw Wilson very well, and could also make out SAn Gorgonio and San Jacinto. I'd love to try this on a clear day. Next time I'm in the area, I'll keep going all the way to Wilson.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Sounds like a nice day. I didn't no the Mt Wilson trail closes on occassion. Do you know why it was closed?
Liz

Post by Liz »

The hiker I met today, who lives nearby, told me it was closed so the crew can repair the damage from last April's fire. I remember that fire, as I had just led a group hike in the Chantry Flat area, and then got stranded there for a few hours, as the fire had just broken out. It was my wedding anniversary, and I really couldn't wait to get home. I'll never forget that crazy day!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

http://cityofsierramadre.com/index.php? ... ail&id=354
Release Date: 12/5/08

Mt. Wilson Trail Closure Update

The Mt. Wilson Trail will be open on weekdays due to a change in the work schedule of the California Conservation Corps. The Mt. Wilson Trail will be subject to intermittent closures Monday through Thursday for the next two months. Please use alternate trials out of Chantry Flats or Bailey Canyon during closures.

For additional details contact:
City of Sierra Madre City Hall
232 W. Sierra Madre Blvd.
Sierra Madre, CA. 91024
T: 626.355.7135
http://cityofsierramadre.com/index.php? ... ail&id=353
Release Date: 12/4/08
Mt. Wilson Trail Closure

The Skyland Slope Restoration Project will be starting today, December 2, 2008, on the Mt. Wilson Trail. The restoration project will be headed by the California Conservation Corps with the help of the Sierra Madre Search and Rescue. Due to the nature of the project, the Mt. Wilson Trail will be closed weekdays for the next two months. The Mt. Wilson Trail will be accessible on the weekends and holidays. Thank you for your understanding.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Liz wrote:I hiked Bailey Canyon to Jones Peak, with my hubby, for the first time today.
It made for a nice workout, although I always want to do more. We did about 6.8 miles, and gained/lost about 2,265 feet. Next time I'm in the area, I'll keep going all the way to Wilson.
If you go to Wilson try try the NW ridge that connects Jones Peak to the Mt. Wilson Toll Rd. Then up the toll road to connect with the Mt. Wilson Trail for the last .9 miles to the summit.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thanks for the little push you gave me, Augie! I did hike up Bailey Canyon today, then followed the ridge, via HAStings Peak, to the toll road. After making the Wilson summit, I came down via the Mt. Wilson Trail, then walked back to my car. I think I covered about 15 miles and climbed more than 4,540 feet, considering I went up and down several times on the ridge. It made for a good workout!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Liz wrote:Thanks for the little push you gave me, Augie! I did hike up Bailey Canyon today, then followed the ridge, via HAStings Peak, to the toll road. After making the Wilson summit, I came down via the Mt. Wilson Trail, then walked back to my car. I think I covered about 15 miles and climbed more than 4,540 feet, considering I went up and down several times on the ridge. It made for a good workout!
Great Liz. I've done that precise loop many times myself. If you ever head that way again, you might try Mt. Yale, which is south of Mt. Harvard and which you can access a couple of different ways off the Toll Rd.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey Augie, are Yale and Harvard accessible by trail, or do they require scrambling and xcountry? I'm getting to know your neck of the woods this winter, while my favorite areas are buried deep in snow. Also, are you on the trails on Saturdays? If so, I may run into you sometime.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Liz,

Mt. Harvard has been closed to the public for some time now. There is no regular trail to Mt. Yale, but there are at least 2 use trails. The one I've done is on Yale's SW ridge and it was greatly overgrown in parts. The other use trail is further up the toll road on Yale's east slope. See this link for a description: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -Yale.html.

I do get out on the trails sometimes on Saturday. I'll look for you.

Cheers,

Augie
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Isn't just the summit of Harvard closed? the trail coming from Harvard-Wilson Saddle is degraded, but I believe it's still there, yes?
Augie

Post by Augie »

Yep, still there, but fence and gate let you know the summit is off limits.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, gotcha. And when they erected that new KUSC transmitter up there they obscured the entrance to the Mt. Harvard trail and damaged some of the historic pine trees in Harvard-Wilson saddle that were planted when there was a trail resort in the saddle during the Great Hiking Era.

If I wasn't such a dedicated KUSC listener, why I'd... :lol:

Anyway, if one were to come down the Mt. Wilson trail from the S end of the big parking lot on the summit of Mt. Wilson (I think this is the old Skyline Village parking lot for those of you who remember the old amusement park on Mt. Wilson) to Harvard-Wilson saddle, one could take the Mt. Harvard trail to the summit of Harvard (pretty boring, particularly after they built the xmitter there) and from there follw the (rather steep) ridgeline to Yale.