Canyoneering: Bailey Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Augie

Post by Augie »

My son and I descended Bailey Canyon yesterday, a nice temperate day. The canyon was dry except for a couple of smelly pools and two drops where wet slippery moss covered the waterfall.

We did 11 rappels. All are bolted. Many of the bolts are positioned such that you have to stand on sloping rock to rig so safety tether is a must. The longest drop was about 95 feet. My 60 meter rope barely made it on that one. We did all rappels on one strand with a releasable figure 8 block. On the 95' foot drop, I brought the bag down and that second strand barely reached the bottom (I had with me a second 30mx8mm rope in the event I would have needed it). There were also a couple of 60 foot raps, a 50 footer and the rest 25-30 feet.

A final point that may be of interest. I usually do not use a back-up (some call it a "third hand") when canyoneering and definitely not if I expect to drop into water. Just for the heck of it, I used an autoblock (used a short sling to wrap around the rope) on a few of the raps. On one, the autoblock stuck and would not budge. After a few minutes of just hanging, I finally managed to loosen it enough so it would start sliding again. This experience just reminded me of why you would not want to use a backup (either autoblock below or prussik above your rap device) when rapping in a waterfall).

Anyway, Bailey Canyon was a great outing. No still pics; all I took was video.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sweet! And understood about autoblocks in a waterfall... sounds like a great way to get cold. :lol:
Augie

Post by Augie »

TacoDelRio wrote:Sweet! And understood about autoblocks in a waterfall... sounds like a great way to get cold. :lol:
A great way to get cold or worse!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice report. So where's the video? Those who don't do, want to see those who do. :lol:
Augie

Post by Augie »

EnFuego wrote:Nice report. So where's the video? Those who don't do, want to see those who do. :lol:
Still in my camera. Will have to get it to UTube.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Where is bailey canyon? sounds interesting!
Augie

Post by Augie »

Zach wrote:Where is bailey canyon? sounds interesting!
See this link for description and driving directions. It is located above Sierra Madre.
http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/240464 ... anyon.html.
Zach

Post by Zach »

thanks!

were ALL the raps bolted and were there slings and 'biners at each belay?
Augie

Post by Augie »

Zach wrote:thanks!

were ALL the raps bolted and were there slings and 'biners at each belay?
All the raps, with one exception, are bolted. The anchors are complete, that is, with webbing tied through the bolts and with rap rings/rapides attached. The one exception is an anchor around a tree. In other words, I didn't need to construct a single anchor although I always carry plenty of extra webbing and rap rings in case I need to back something up or replace a worn anchor.
Zach

Post by Zach »

sweet! thanks again
Augie

Post by Augie »

EnFuego wrote:Nice report. So where's the video?
Here's one short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ8E7x_gCh0
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Check your PM