Baldy 1-4-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
CERBADEATH

Post by CERBADEATH »

Was my fist time up baldy, went up the DBB trail hit up Harwood and Baldy and down the ski hut trail. Although in the morning some lady refused to sell me a lift ticket up to the notch. She said there was "no climbing on the mountain today" I was confused... she said there was too many accidents on the mountain and no climbers are aloud anymore. So I then stated that I was gonna only go to sight see and she then sold me a ticket and I was off. Has anybody heard this before?or is this normal for them to say? Anyway good climb, met some cool folks, and a nice day. here are some pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rogerstudio12/MtBaldy1409#
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

O RLY

Sounds like an excuse.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice pictures.

I've never heard of "too many accidents on the mountain". Was she refering to hikers/climbers or their skiers? I actually called the ski resort last Friday and asked how much for a one way ticket, cuz Lilbitmo and I were going to do Baldy. She never said anything about climbers not being allowed. We never rode the lift. We did the ski hut trail.

Can you give me a few details about the backbone itself? Any problems at all on this section? I'd actually like to do it this weekend.

~EnFuego
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice TR, nice pictures, everytime I go on those mountains I'm only sight seeing as well.

I cannot help it if me feet have other ideas.

I have to go where they lead me.

:D
CERBADEATH

Post by CERBADEATH »

haha exactly!

EnFuego, yes she was talking about hikers and climbers. I don't know what the deal was with that, the people working the lift told me to have a good trip. So she was the only one enforcing the no climber law. As for the backbone, it's a cool trail. No need for snowshoes anywhere just crampons and an axe for that day. I continued up the ridge to Harwood instead of turning left at that little fork thingy. I would use extra caution climbing up this ridge with ice if you decide to take it. But the conditions seemed great, didn't come across any ice, although I am sure that can change real quick up there with this weather. Take some pics if you head up, I would like to see what it looks like a week later.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

This is common practice at Baldy when the area is fully open to skiers/boarders, and I've it happen to me twice. One time I was able to "persuade" them to let me on the lift, the other time no. I think the reason you don't hear much about it is due to the few number of days Baldy is actually in full operation.

I went up on Sunday, but took the Register Ridge route. Pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 153156961/

Dave
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Dave G,

I did see your post over on the San J. web page and liked all the pictures.

Did you get a chance to talk to Traci/Tracy the Sierra Ski Hut Host and her dog Marta at the Ski Hut?

She's a great host and was walking around talking to everybody.

By the way, on your way up Register Ridge - how much snow did you encounter? At what elevation did it get real thick? What time did you start your hike up Register Ridge?

Thanks in advance Dave - PS I also saw the photos and TR on the other sight you did two weeks ago back by Poopout Hill and South Fork Meadows, nice snow shoeing, nice pictures.

lilbitmo :D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Libitmo: The ski hut was locked up when we were there around 2p. We started out around 8a, I think. The snow was easily avoidable for the most part up to ~7500'. Of course, that is changing daily up there. By this weekend you'll most likely have completely different conditions than we did. Also, although you may not use crampons, I would strongly suggest an ice axe (and the ability to self-arrest) on the the final 500' or so. A slip there could result in a fairly long ride :) . Have fun!

Dave
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I'm gonna be going up DBB on Friday most likely just to see how much snow there is on the trail, if nobody goes before then I'll have pictures!