Snowshoeing

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

My gf and I just bought MSR Denali Snowshoes. :wink: We were wondering if anyone has any recomendations on where the best places for snowshoeing are in the San Gabriels, San Bernardinos, and San Jacintos. Also, any advice anyone may have on snowshoeing in general would be greatly appreciated.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Well, I can tell you that I just did Baldy summit via the Ski Hut trail on Saturday and there was absolutly no place for snow shoe use. The snow was very hard pack, and in some places, iced over.

After the next snow event would be your best bet.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

The area around Islip Saddle is pretty nice for learning. Rte. 2 is closed beyond that point, and the road gives a gentle slope and it's hard to get lost. There are several places that allow one to head into steeper terrain. When I got my son snowshoes, I think we did Mt. Islip the first day and came back on the highway. That was a good, honest workout for a gung ho 9-year old. The point is that there is something there for every level.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

the south fork trail in the san gorgornio wilderness is a good one. also lots of good trails if you take the PS tram up to long valley, but be prepared to fork over 22 bucks each for a tram ride :(

http://www.summitpost.org/route/155754/ ... trail.html
mdougherty

Post by mdougherty »

I went snowshoeing Saturday up the road on the north side of Heart Bar Peak in the San Bernardinos and had a good time. I suspect that the north side of Sugarloaf Mountain would also be good.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Take the Palms Springs Tram up San Jacinto. Perfect area for snowshoeing as well as cross-country skiing.
Nunc est bibendum
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Thanks everyone for your help. :D I will probably head up to Islip Saddle first just to practice, at least go up to Little Jimmy Trail Camp further if it's not to icy. San Jacinto Peak is another place I have in mind before winter is over, but I have to practice my snow navigation skills a little more, I recently got a gps and am still relativly new to it's use. South Fork Trail sounds like fun since it's not too steep at least up too South Fork meadows (I can't believe I didn't think of this considering I recently went backpacking there). Well anyways thanks again....