San Gabriel Scramble Suggestions (SGSS)

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
graham

Post by graham »

San Gabriel Scramble Suggestions (SGSS)

With a dry winter in the forecast, I’m interested in any recommended SGSS that might help up-regulate the ol’ Norm Clyde genes (that’s the adventurous scrambling aspects, not the cranky ol' geezer phenotype :) )

By scrambling; I‘m thinking of class 3 or 4 terrain that leads to some peak.

I can suggest 2 pretty good San Gabriel Scrambles;
1. San Antonio Ridge (between Iron Mt and Mt Baldy) offers some nice class 3 scrambling and some good exposure to boot. It’s one of the classic ridgeline in the SoCal area.

2. Baldy Waterfall Scramble. This offers some class 3 & 4 sections. It goes from the Baldy Waterfall to the Sierra Club Cabin Ski Hut.

Other suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers,
RickG
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I thought of Sugarloaf Peak, because I was astounded at yesterday's visibility, being able to see Sugarloaf from near my old home in the Diamond Bar area!

Near Sugarloaf in Icehouse Canyon, there are some rocky outcroppings east of Falling Rock Canyon. They look to be a cool way to get up to Ontario, and should be good scrambling areas.

My favorite scramble so far is in the desert, though. Stoddard Peak from the north side.
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

Strawberry Peak west ridge is probably my favorite SG scramble
Travis

Post by Travis »

I know it is not within the San Gabriels, but the San Jacinto peaks offer many good 3rd class scrabling options, and many have 3rd or even 4th class summit blocks.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Try the north ridge of Iron Mountain from Fish Fork; from the river, you've got 2,000 feet of gain up a gully to connect with the ridge and then 2,000' of ridge to the summit. The ridge has some Class 3 on it.