Yucaipa Ridge Traverse

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Travis

Post by Travis »

We originally planned to hike Olancha ysterday, but since it was a long ways to go with a threat of bad weather, we hiked 6 peaks in the San Bernardino Mountains, the opposite ridge as the 9 Peak Grand Traverse. It was fun, rain threatened but never materialzed.

http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/yucaiparidge

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/356129.jpg

Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Nice loop! Which direction did you go? I assume you went for Little SG first? I've used both of those ascent/descent routes though not in the same day. That Camp Creek route is pretty steep. Just how I like it. Btw, you haven't done Little SG to Galena have you? That's the sweet part of the ridge -- kinda like a pumped up version of the Iron-Baldy traverse. It's an awesome traverse, quite adventurous, but not lacking in brush and some intimidating obstacles. I thought it was interesting enough that I never even posted my photos preferring to keep it secret. Oops. Secret's out.

-Rick
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good photos. Really like the old register entries from the 60's. Very cool.

Looks like an interesting place. I've never checked it out. I typically head into the SGW if I'm over that way.

Looks pretty gnarly getting up and down from the ridge, but cool to have a loop.

What kind of shape was the ridge top trail in? Were any of the peaks any big deal to get to the summit? Probably none, but any water sources en route?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Beautiful pictures! Kinda looks like a Super-Copter-Ridge.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Since you all had such great questions, I wrote up a Trip Report to answer them all,

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... verse.html

And Rick, no, we did not do the Galena to Little San G traverse, but we checked it out and I want to now. Had I known we would have incldued it in this traverse. Also, we did not ascend Camp Creek, we hiked up a ridge to the east. However I also want to try this as a descent route. I think I will hike up Galena's famos Headwall, traverse over to Little San G and then descend the Camp Creek Gully. Sounds like a great hike.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Ridge east of Camp Creek is what I meant. I suggest doing the traverse from Little San G to Galena for asthetic reasons. There's a stunning view you get in that direction which probably won't be so striking in the opposite direction. Oh, and descending the headwall is quite an experience. I thought I was going to die! hehe.
Travis

Post by Travis »

thanks, I definetly plan to do this traverse. I meant to reply to you in my last post, not Taco. Sorry

Travis
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I checked out the TR on SummitPost. Cool TR. TR helped me appreciate the pix more.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice TR Travis.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I live in Redlands and I still haven't done any of the peaks along the Yucaipa Ridge except Galena. Travis, your report on summitpost is great - thanks for all the info - it certainly has prompted me to plan on getting out there and checking out the ridge soon.

Kathy
Travis

Post by Travis »

thanks for your comments and praise, very much appreciated.
dhstein31

Post by dhstein31 »

I have done the traverse Galena to Little SG twice and it is hike for those without fear and addicted to adrenalin or testosterone. Very cool Xcountry hike but be careful of your footing. One mis-step could be your last.

D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Looks like the TR on SP got front page. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Not only is the TR on the front page, it's the lead write up -- the first one that you see out of 5 or so. Top billing!