Twin Peaks from Buckhorn 11/22/08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Doug Forbes

Post by Doug Forbes »

I took a wonderful "shake-down cruise" in the San Gabriels to Twin Peaks from Buckhorn via the Waterman Loop Trail, Waterman Trail and Twin Peaks use trail from Twin Peaks Saddle. Work has kept me urban bound for months, so I was glad to get out for a short jaunt. I was alone on the trail except for meeting a group of 4 men motoring up the final section of rough trail just below the East Summit as I headed down at 12:00 noon. The weather was warm and nearly calm after a modest early morning chill.....I can feel winter just beginning to giggle. This area is great in full winter also - it feels isolated as soon as the snow cover builds......I wrapped my week ankles in medium weight leather boots to support my donut-plumped body, but even trail runners would be fine on the last bit of rough trail under these dry conditions....About 11 miles total with 3,400vf gain.

Climb With Spirit

Hedgehog

Some captioned photos are here:

http://dougforbes.smugmug.com/gallery/6 ... Cch#P-1-12

The important things: watching cloud shadows race across a mountainside or passing the time of day with a hummingbird...or sitting on a peak and thinking of nothing at all except perhaps that it is a wonderful thing to sit on a peak and think of nothing at all. (Colin Fletcher, 1984)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You want to traverse the east ridge in winter?

If you're up for it this winter...

Just had a dream about this peak last night as well.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

excellent...too bad for that haze...