Ode to Lucy

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

It's with a heavy heart that I write these words, my favorite hiking partner Lucy died today in my arms at the Vet Hospital. She was suffering from "Liver Cancer" and was suffering and there was no cure or treatment to save her, so my wife and I decided to "Give her back to God", she's been the best hiking dog I've ever had the pleasure to know. She was only 4 years "Young" and had accomplished many things in her life - she hiked solo with her "Pops" from the Onyx Summit section of the Pacific Crest Trail all the way to over the Mill Creek Crossing on multiple weekends over the winter of 2005 and 2006. She was able to make the summit of Baldy at least 10 times, including a winter ascent up the face of the North Bowl, Bear Canyon in the winter, Ice House Saddle numerous times, all three of the T's more than once,Cucamonga, Ontario Peak, Mt. Baden Powell, Devils Backbone, Register Ridge, Mt. Baden Powell, Modjeska Peak in the Santa Ana's, and much much more.
Her favorite thing was to jump in the truck the minute she saw me packing my backpack, she didn't care where we were going, only that she get to go - that way she could try to get off the leash and chase squirells.
She came into my life at the perfect time, right when my current hiking partner decided he could no longer hike the PCT (he and I hike from the Mexican Border to Onyx Summit before he threw in the towel).
She brought great joy to my family and loved all she met on the trail, I will miss her dearly. I thank all of you who stopped to say hello to her and give her your "praise and encouragement".

She is now hiking the big trails in the sky.

She will be forever in my heart and when I hike I will be thinking of her always.

God Bless from Lilbitmo

Ode to Lucy Pictures can be seen here -
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww28 ... =slideshow
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

RIP Lucy

A strong dog! Good times (makes me think of the neck-belay).
Tim

Post by Tim »

Looked through all the pictures, great dog! She's got a bushy tail like a squirrel, no wonder she likes chasing them.

Sorry her time here was so short. RIP Lucy.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've enjoyed seeing her pictures in some of your trip reports. And of course your avatar of her shows how close you were and what an amazing trail dog she was. It's wonderful you got to share some great trips with her, and unfair that time was too short.

Thinking of you today.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Sorry to hear about this, Patrick. I met Lucy and I know she was a devoted hiking partner. It's terrible that this has to happen, but also sadly inevitable for those of us who choose these noble, but relatively short-lived, creatures as friends and companions.

You might enjoy this, one of my favorite articles on SummitPost, about another hiker and his four-legged buddy:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... e-dog.html

And my own Lucy pic:

"Ours is a fundamentally lonely race and we can often use a companion." -- Me
Nunc est bibendum
Bill

Post by Bill »

My sympathies to you my friend!
Sounds like Lucy was one heck of a hiker!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Sorry to hear about your dog. It's really difficult to lose a pet, because they become our friends, and it's always hard to lose a friend.........RIP Lucy
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Just want to throw a "Thanks" to everyone for their kind words and support.

Did a little "Goodbye" to her on San Jacinto Saturday. The peak was a freeway so I went out to the "Point" that looks down on Snow Creek and said my fairwell.

You guys are the best.

Lilbitmo
kgw

Post by kgw »

They never stop tugging your heart. . .

Take care.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dude, that totally sucks. May she hike on in your memories.

HJ