20131225 Cascade Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I've been wanting to go down this canyon for a while now. It looked fun from Baldy Road with a couple cool falls and some reddish rock nearby.

I headed out at 1pm today when I had nothing to do, and got home at 5 or so. It's a pretty short canyon, and if it wasn't choked with the sharpest plants in the whole range, it would go fast.

Did two rappels, the first was very short and low angle, and the second was about 100ft and went down in two stages.

R1

R2, top part drops into a knee deep pool or so.

Around there, the plantlife eased up a bit. Got to the top of the last rappel, which looked too long for my 200ft static. I guess I'm going to buy a pullcord for crimmas. Looked about 120ft or so. I didn't rappel it, so I'll come back another time to complete it if that ends up bugging me.

Looking down...

Anchor way uphill from it, canyon left. I hiked beyond this to descend steep loose terrain.

The falls from below

I didn't see any anchors for the first two falls, just the last one. I feel doing the whole thing makes more sense than hiking up from the bottom to train on systems or whatever. Of course you'd have to deal with the huge terrible blackberry vines, which made me spurt tiny drops of blood out on my cuticle and leg, which was pretty rad looking. Also some other short plant/shrub that was SUPER sharp and pointy. Unfortunately, there were not many Buckthorn present. :\ I know, we can't always get everything we want!

Anywho, it was cool.

Full album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacodelrio ... 029088364/

My Machete Brothers professional bushwhacking and anger-gardening adventure team would've really enjoyed this fine afternoon outing. :)

Merry crimmas!
James

Post by James »

Yes, sounds like a fun one. Glad they weren't the sharpest plants in the world, much easier to deal with than the smart ones.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That route needs a name: "Shorts Recommended" :twisted:

Blackberry vines. Ugh.

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

I left anchors at the first two when I was there a few months back... They're pretty obvious, so I wonder if someone removed them.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Must've, cause I saw nussing until ze last drop! Did you have to deal with as many damn deathvines?