Front Door to Sturtevant Falls via closed Chantry Rd. 19 Jan 2019

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

We took the hyperlocal option for a hike that had some chance of being passable after the storms, and headed out the front door to the closed Chantry Rd., about 1 mile. Lots of hikers and bikers parking on Arno and doing this now (many not going all the way). 3.25 miles from the gate to Chantry Flats and ~0.75 road down to Roberts Camp, and we were rewarded with a less-than-usual population in the canyon, and more water than I've seen in years.
DSC01236.jpg

Another mile or so to the falls. Waterproof boots make the 3 water crossings easy, but people were managing in sneakers.
DSC01243.jpg

The photo doesn't really do it justice! The water was wonderful. Maybe 8 other people in attendance. Bring a thermos of tea to make the others jealous.

Maybe the 4 miles each way on pavement (+ a bonus mile if you happen to start from my front door) is suboptimal, but it got the blood moving and the canyon was really nice.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Must have been fantastic being able to enjoy the hike to Sturtevant Falls with so few people. A stark contrast to how it usually is... Maybe I should do this too since I'm not too far from the front gate too ?