Upper Eaton Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

This will be short and sweet.

I checked out the middle section of Eaton Canyon the last time, so today I returned to traverse the upper section. I started at Eaton Saddle, and walked the fire road, looking for a drop-in point. Initially, the drop into the head of Eaton Canyon is very steep. At the tunnel you can see the old trail: there's a sketchy-looking cut in the rock, and metal posts that presumably carried cables at some point. It's a looong way down, so I guess the tunnel was built as a less harrowing alternative. Not coincidentally, this isn't a good drop-in point.

Things look a bit more reasonable past the tunnel, and I dropped-in shortly after. As expected, this is very steep initially, but flattens out as all the little channels consolidate into the main stem of Eaton Canyon. It's pretty nice down there. I found very little human-detritus, aside from two road signs that fell from above and 11 (!) birthday balloons. Eventually the canyon gets some water.

Here there were some deer, countless water striders and countless ladybugs

The travel is relatively easy. There's only one waterfall, and there's an obvious bypass on the descender's left. Eventually I reached the Idlehour trail, which was my exit via Mt. Lowe. Lots of lizards on the ascent, and I disturbed this guy, who was coiled up into a neat pancake when I came up on him.

The canyon is nice! It was also hot out there. I saw one other hiker at Inspiration Point, and a handful of people at the tunnel.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the report. The only other account I've ever read about this section of the canyon is by Brennen and I never was sure whether it was just "hikable" or required canyoneering skills.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Very cool post dima. That's a seldom visited area it seems. The old trail that clings to the cliff face on side of Mueller Tunnel always looked pretty dang precarious to me. Traversing that before the tunnel was there must have been an intimidating experience. Lol
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I've thought about using that route to access the south side of Markham. Looks nice. The ladybugs are crazy this year.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Yup, Markham forests are way underrated. I plan on visiting again.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Is it feasible to exit back up to the drop in point (which is between the tunnel and markham saddle, right?)?
dima

Post by dima »

HikeUp wrote: Is it feasible to exit back up to the drop in point (which is between the tunnel and markham saddle, right?)?
Yeah, feasible. It's steep, but not even remotely technical. The drop-in is where you say, getting a bit easier towards Markham.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Thanks for the TR. Love the Lady Bug pics!!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Cool trip, Dima. I thought the upper canyon would have been more technical. Pretty though.