EisPiraten's 10th Anniversary Hike

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Four pirate hikers summited Mt. Baldy in celebration of EisPiraten's 10th Anniversary.

10xlogoredtitle600.jpg

September 27th marked ten years that this forum has been providing kickass reports and information for the SoCal hiking community. I thought it would be cool to celebrate this achievement in some small way. So today Elwood, John, Kevin, and I met up at the Baldy Resort for an ascent of San Antonio Peak via the Devil's Backbone.

For me, the excitement began during the drive up Baldy Road. At around 6:45am, I saw this Sasquatch Crossing sign.

IMG_20170930_064206783_HDR.jpg

Due to recent health issues, I wasn't sure whether I could make it to the summit. But after seeing the road sign, I felt a warm sensation in my heart and knew that Squatchy had blessed me. With his strength I'd conquer that mountain.

I pulled into the ski lift parking lot and met Elwood, John, and Kevin for the first time. The lift operator was late opening the ticket counter, so we all talked for a bit and made sure nobody was actually psychotic.

DSC02582.JPG

Up at the Notch we took a bunch of pictures of each other.

DSC02589.JPG

There were some new, handmade signs posted for the trails.

DSC02591.JPG

John and his son Kevin live in San Diego, and they had never taken the Devil's Backbone before. So they were pretty excited to see the narrow rocky ridge and huge drops on either side.

DSC02596.JPG

Elwood is from south Ventura County and doesn't get to Baldy as much as I do. But he often hikes twenty or thirty miles in a day, and has covered much of the San Gabriel range. Today though he was out for a nice Saturday stroll.

DSC02598.JPG

A little before the summit we ran into Ellen, another member of the forum, who was already coming down. She gave me a big hug and raced down the ridge to catch up with her group.

DSC02603.JPG

I was the last one to reach the top. But at least I made it, thank Squatchy!

DSC02607.JPG

The weather up there was a bit windy, but clear of clouds. John and Kevin wanted to tag West Baldy as well. So Elwood and I waited for them. In addition to having a weekend stroll, Elwood brought his radios and chatted with other operators.

DSC02605.JPG

He tried to explain a few things about radios, but there were these girls doing headstands on the summit, and they were quite distracting.

Soon John and Kevin returned and we headed back down the Backbone.

DSC02609.JPG

We all decided to hit up Mt. Harwood, only a slight detour and small additional climb.

DSC02615.JPG

Due to the added gain and wind, I had to summon some extra Squatchy power for this one.

DSC02616.JPG

We made decent time on the descent and celebrated with a hearty lunch at the Notch Restaurant.

Thank you to Elwood, John, and Kevin for a wonderful hike and some wonderful personal stories that will go unreported. And thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. Happy 10th anniversary! Keep hiking, and keep sharing your stories!

DSC02617.JPG
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the TR. Happy 10th to this great group of hikers. Wish I was able to join.

So who drank all the beer?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I had a Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer. Pretty good. Not great.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I had an awesome time celebrating this auspicious occasion with an equally awesome crew. Although I didn't take many pictures, I managed to get some decent ones:

Fearless leader, Mount Harwood.

ImageMan who knows how to take in a view...

ImageHardy trekkers headed towards Mount San Antonio.

ImageBrief photographic opportunity on the Devil's Backbone.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow! looks like the boys had a great time. Sorry I missed it but I will see you on the next one!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Dang, sorry I missed you guys. I walked up to the Notch, had lunch and left around 1pm because I didn't see anyone I recognized. Or at least no one that looked like the photos in these pages.
For the record, I had a Rye Pale Ale from La Verne Brewing. Mighty tasty.

View of Baldy from just below the Notch.
View of Baldy from just below the Notch.

Marker at Desert View.
Marker at Desert View.

Out on the ridge by the newest tent cabins.
Out on the ridge by the newest tent cabins.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Sorry we missed you, Jeff. We got back to the Notch a little after 1pm.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Sweet! where is this benchmark located?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Looking over the 15 fwy as it heads up to the pass. I think it's actually on the 'trail' to Thunder, which is of course just a fire road.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Cool...alas I had no excuse other than laziness.
jfr

Post by jfr »

Thanks, Sean, for putting together a fun day in the mountains! It was great getting to meet you and Elwood.

My son also had a great time and was happy to bag three new peaks (Harwood, Baldy, and West Baldy) as well as drink some beer with his Notch Burger.

Unfortunately, his desire to bag West Baldy probably was why we were late meeting up with Jeff. Sorry, Jeff! Interestingly, we almost met five years ago in Kelly Camp on a cold Memorial Day Weekend back in 2012, but it was so cold that my wife and I mostly hid inside our tent with our legs in the sleeping bag. Perhaps we'll meet next time.

Here are a few of my photos:

Group shot at Baldy Notch

Looking southwest down San Antonio Canyon from the Devils Backbone Trail, Ontario Peak left of center

Looking back at one of the spiny bumps on the Devils Backbone

Panorama with Cucamonga, Ontario, the Baldy Bowl, and Mount Baldy

My son on the summit of West Baldy, with Mount Baden-Powell on the right

Hikers doing headstands for photo-ops on the summit of Mount Baldy

The EarthScope GPS device on Mount Harwood. Looks a bit like a Space Alien Landing Craft.

Back to the backbone

My son adding some extra exposure to a shot of Mount Harwood and Dawson Peak

Taking the easy way back down via the ski lift

As usual, I took way too many photos and videos. I can't seem to help myself. ? Anyway, if you're bored, feel free to check them out on my Flickr Album Page

-- John
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/