Whitewater to Dragonhead.

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

Has anyone done a trip up Whitewater to Dragonhead. in winter conditions? Was looking over there coming down tram yesterday and it looked interesting.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Got a picture of what you've envisioned?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

jjpicts wrote: Has anyone done a trip up Whitewater to Dragonhead. in winter conditions? Was looking over there coming down tram yesterday and it looked interesting.
Dude, freakin' epic -- if it can be done.

HJ
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

Taco wrote: Got a picture of what you've envisioned?
Don't know how to post them but here's a link to them.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1170959980 ... 4627/Picts#
Taco

Post by Taco »

John, my buddy and I attempted it last winter. We went up Mill Creek, but my knees were screwed up, so we did not make it. Spent the night near the NF of Galena in a light "storm", nice light snowfall.

I would love to climb that route. The chutes get pretty steep near the top. Forecasting the temps will be real important to avoid getting a rock to the brain bucket.

I believe the base of the canyon is on Indian Reservation land, no?
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

Parts are. Was thinking of either Banning canyon to Gunsight Pass, then over to East fork and up past Silverwood falls. Just don't know anyone who has been through there. Or making the longer trek from Whitewater.
Zach

Post by Zach »

sick! :shock:
Taco

Post by Taco »

Might be the best "economy of force" to just hoof it up to the Tarn, then drop in and boogie. That would cover the climbing part, though one wouldn't do the entire canyon in that way.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

that dude pitownpi did some summer scramble between mill creek JO and middle fork JO (and saw 3 mountain lions). Dont' know if he has a TR anywhere though
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Looking forward to the trip report on this one. That big couloir is clearly visible from San Jacinto. I always wonder about it.