San Gabriel

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Last weekend I took a quick jaunt up San Gabriel and Disappointment on Saturday, the clear morning skies made for some fantastic views from up there. After the storm I saw a little snow, the north side of SG was mostly ice-covered so I was careful on the downhill part. There were only a couple sets of tracks in front of me and some brush/trees across the trail. Plenty of folks came up behind me, there was an Armenian hiking group that all asked for pics on SG and again when I was sitting on Disappointment having my hot cocoa. In my haste to get away from the group I whacked my head while ducking under a branch, cutting a big slice through the top of my hat so now I'm shopping for a new one. No stitches but I have a 2-inch gash on my head which makes for good conversation at work.
November 12, 2022

Markham from Eaton Saddle trailhead.
DSC07771.JPG

Tunnel had standing water at the far end, a couple feet of mud along the side served as the path.
DSC07774.JPG

A few slides after the latest rain/snow event.
DSC07778.JPG

When I zoomed in here I could see a line of people waiting to use the swing on Mt Lowe.
DSC07783.JPG

Snow hike. This part was a little more interesting on the way down, I managed to stay vertical the entire way.
DSC07802.JPG

Pose.
IMG_9533.JPG

Signage. This one isn't as nice as some of the others now scattered among the local peaks.
DSC07815.JPG

I was surprised to see this little structure. I put a rock under one corner since it rocked pretty far back and forth.
DSC07821.JPG

I could see Catalina, about 60 miles from my perch on Disappointment.
DSC07831.JPG

Dawson, Pine, Baldy with snow caps.
DSC07833.JPG
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Somebody needs to invent a hat that sounds an alarm when you get too close to a branch.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I like the pose. If you want to escape from the crowds next time hike up to Mt Deception. Lol
It's very secluded.

BTW nice pics.