Snow walking

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

April 10, 2022
I decided on a longer walk Sunday, spending a little time visiting Mt. Baden-Powell to break up the every week routine of the Wilderness Park. It was an adventure just getting to the trailhead, as I-15 was down to one lane and I didn't know that until I was past the Sierra exit. That meant I was trapped in traffic and it took me about 2:30 to drive the 50 miles. I was surprised to see only 10 cars in the parking lot but gladly headed up the trail. After a mile of walking I saw the first snow patch, and shortly after Lamel Spring the route was completely covered. That meant no more trail, so I skipped the switchbacks and followed footprints mostly straight up the mountain. While packing the night before I grabbed the microspikes and was glad to have them. My late start and a relatively warm sun conspired to make the snow pretty soft, so it was difficult to make quick progress as I slipped even with the little traction aids. 2:45 to the summit is the slowest time I've ever recorded on this route so I blame the snow. While on the top I was able to sit by myself and enjoy a Snickers snack and then headed back down. Microspikes were definitely not the right tool for the descent as the snow just balls up on them - real crampons would have been a better choice. While going down I talked to a few PCT hikers and noticed that every one of them was foreign, which makes me wonder how many US residents go visit the long trails in Europe. I'm sure I never will, too many trails here for me to keep exploring....

AllTrails clocked my day at 7.6 miles with 2900 feet of elevation gain/loss, which means the snow route chops about a half mile off the trail.

Some renovations at the trailhead since last time I was here. New bathroom too!
IMG_8961.jpg

Baldy peeking out through the trees.
IMG_8966.jpg

Snow on this slope beginning to feel a little sketchy.
IMG_8974.jpg

Around here I decided to abandon the trail.
IMG_8983.jpg

Almost done climbing, legs were tired now.
IMG_8986.jpg

Looking back down from the ridge. Not clear enough to see the Sierra Nevada mountains.
IMG_8987.jpg

B-P summit from the ridge, looking down canyon from here is one of my favorite views in the Gabes.
IMG_8988.jpg

Summit shot, I decided not to visit any other peaks because the snow was way too soft by now.
IMG_8997.jpg

Ridge on the way back to the trail.
IMG_9003.jpg

View of Baldy from Inspiration Point.
IMG_9014.jpg
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Was it one of those fancy toilets that separates the peepee from the poopoo?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Not that nice. Upon further reflection I think it’s only a new exterior.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda