The Burrito express

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

Today I hiked up Burrito Peak (point 2510, SW of Burro peak). Had vague plans to keep going to Burro and beyond, but it was hot, and I wasn't feeling it.

Starting at the Rincon fire station made the most sense. They had angry-looking no-trespassing signs, though, so I started at the OHV area instead. Burrito Peak is straight ahead:

I crossed the river at the OHV vehicle crossing. It's a vehicle ford, so there are no logs or rocks or anything, and I just waded across. Water went up a bit past the knee. On the other side of the river is a decent trail that contours to the left, and then climbs up. It's steep, but not brushy, and it really feels like somebody is maintaining it:

Half-way to the top, the trail joins the ridge, and I got even more suspicious that this is a trail made by humans not deer:

Then the trail climbs straight up the ridge, where the prize can be claimed

At the top, the trail ends, and travel in any direction is on deer tracks, as expected.

The views are good. To the SW is the Rincon-Red Box rd and the old powerline road that comes in from the E:

And to the E are Burrito, Macho Taco and Rattlesnake

Sean and Willie did this previously, and had apparently already found the trail. But now I just added it to openstreetmap, and in about 10 years or so, AllTrails will pick it up.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Yesterday I had a beef, bean and cheese burrito (spicy) from Burrito Express in Pasadena.

http://burritoexpresspasadena.com/index.html

I had to take a nap afterwords.

Just saying.
dima

Post by dima »

Oh yeah. I've been to that place. My Burrito Express is better :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

There is an old burrito in a baggie sitting in the back of my fridge. I bet that trail is maintained by the firefighters.
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

RJM Mexican Grill, 8181 Sunland Blvd, Sun Valley. No other burrito compares. Cholada and I stopped there after Strawberry the other day. We were pretty hungry but I could only finish about half of this pollo carbon bad boy. If I ever hike to Burrito Peak I'll bring one with me. Their salsa bar is on hold during covid but normally they do about 8 types, all excellent, plus 2 kinds of home made beans, plus roast peanuts in the shell, all free. Good people, too. I love that place. We bought a big container of their roasted chili salsa to take home and jeez, is that stuff addictive!

I don't often post meal photos but...
RJM.jpg
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

That burrito looks scrumptious!
Makes my mouth water. I need to check this place out.