More of Bichota canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

I went back to Bichota canyon yesterday to seek buried treasure. And this time, Taco and Danny joined me.

Taco found some "rock" at the Bichota canyon mouth, and tried to climb it.

The canyon has a bit less water in it than the last time, and has acquired some fall colors:

We walked up canyon. There's an intermittent trail at the start. The brush dominates more and more as you travel up. Around the Schvaterfall canyon mouth, it becomes pretty dense. A bit past that, we climbed the wall to the left to the ridge between Schvaterfall and the next canyon. The climb is steep, but relatively short and not-too-brushy. At the ridge top is a nice use trail, and good views of Schvaterfall canyon, and its big drop:

We then walked the ridge to get views into the next canyon over. The topos said this canyon had a massive drop too, and we could eventually see it from above:

I broke my loppers cutting the brush to get to the lip, so Taco did all the hands-on bushwhacking from here on

From next to the lip

We poked around for a bit, and decided to exit by climbing this ridge up to the "Pidgeon" water tank, and the road. Then we wouldn't need to deal with Bichota canyon again. Up to this point the ridge had a nice use path around the brush.

Views from above. Bichota canyon:

The road we're trying to meet and Smith Mountain

We could also see down into the next canyon:

It's full of plants! Any treasure is well-hidden, and will need to wait until the next fire to be discovered.

The ridge is an old firebreak. Much of the lower section is easy, but the use trails disappear, resulting in some heavy bushwhacking. Eventually we crested to the road. View towards the San Gabriel reservoir, the Puente hills and PV and Catalina Island and (I'm pretty sure) San Clemente Island.

We then walked the road and the other road back to the car. It's in fine shape for walking or biking. We didn't have bikes, so we finished completing the loop after dark.
jfr

Post by jfr »

dima wrote: I broke my loppers cutting the brush
Looks like a long fun day. If those loppers are the lightweight Fiskar ones, they have a lifetime guarantee. Someone broke mine, and I took a photo and uploaded it to their website warranty form, and they sent me a brand new pair. Good company. And good loppers.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
Taco

Post by Taco »

The upper section of the ridge had heinous bushwhacking. My arms are covered in cuts. If anyone wants to do anything similar, cover your skin and bring a massive lawnmower.
dima

Post by dima »

These were the indeed the lightweight Fiskars ones. I don't feel right complaining about this: I tried to cut a branch that was too thick, and broke the plastic anvil. These weren't new, and served me well, and I'm ok giving them another $20.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

That's a neat little canyon to explore since nobody has fixed anything in there for decades. I have a friend who thinks it would be cool to restore that old trail and open a new route to Rattlesnake. Thanks for the report!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Is there a better lopper in that size range that doesn't use plastic for an anvil? Steel is important in the San Gabes, for gardening weapons and crampons. Aluminium and Plastique, stay home!
dima

Post by dima »

I want to say the metal ones are more expensive and far heavier. The plastic ones do work quite well, though. Branches about 1" in diameter go easy. This time I tried to cut something that was maybe 1.5", and I had to push hard to break it. Lesson learned.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I must find a new champion cutter that lasts as long as machete or short sword! It is my quest.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: I must find a new champion cutter that lasts as long as machete or short sword! It is my quest.
You're welcome.

walker

Post by walker »

I have a friend who thinks it would be cool to restore that old trail and open a new route to Rattlesnake. Thanks for the report!
A bunch of years ago, I explored the switchbacks on the south wall of Bichota canyon. They're still there and could be cleared with a moderate amount of blood, sweat and tears. Once on the ridgetop it's relatively easy going towards Rattlesnake, but I'm concerned you might end up being used for target practice along the way as you pass above Burro Canyon. The old route seems to leave the ridgetop, contour for a while and descend back into the canyon only to climb to a saddle near the end - peculiar route.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

walker wrote: ...I'm concerned you might end up being used for target practice along the way as you pass above Burro Canyon. The old route seems to leave the ridgetop, contour for a while and descend back into the canyon only to climb to a saddle near the end - peculiar route.
Yeah, it might not be wise to follow the original course all the way. If possible stay below the ridgetop until well beyond the shooting range. I once found a metal target on that ridge while scrambling to Burro Peak.