Gallery of auto parts found on 3N39 to Lupine

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

On June 23, we parked at Guffy and walked down to Lupine to check the road condition.

Down near the rockfall we found this. Looks like a cover that goes around a light.

DSC01386.jpg

On the way back, most of the way back to Guffy (above the Blue Ridge Rd/3N39 split), this was in the middle of the road:
DSC01387.jpg

Part number identifies it a Floor Pan Splash Shield from an Audi. It wasn't there when we went down, so that rock right there might have taken it off.

Not pictured: license plate frame down near Lupine.

Drive carefully, folks! Anyone else got anything from the 3N39 parts yard?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Is 3N39 to Lupine still closed?
dima

Post by dima »

Now this is my kind of post! Is the road actually rough, or are there vehicles there that have no business being on that road?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

dima wrote:Now this is my kind of post! Is the road actually rough, or are there vehicles there that have no business being on that road?
It's the ANF, so prob a mix of both...
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

dima wrote:Now this is my kind of post! Is the road actually rough, or are there vehicles there that have no business being on that road?
The road actually was pretty rough in the rockfall area, even given that it's always a rockfall. It had some large dropoffs that would be challenging in the arrival/departure angle department. That said, we did see a full-sized truck arriving at Lupine as we started to walk out.
The Audi part, though, was up close to Guffy where the road isn't that challenging, so it probably shouldn't have been there, partly due to the driver I'd say, because they could have hopped out and relocated that rock. But things would have gotten worse shortly for a low clearance vehicle anyway.
A couple weeks prior we had been there on bikes and were tracking a thin line of fresh oil on the way in to Guffy, and we planned to circle the campground and see if we could identify the vehicle and tell the owner, but the leaker went on down to Lupine, and we weren't going down that far that time.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Anthony wrote:Is 3N39 to Lupine still closed?
It was open as of June 23; that's all I got. It does seem to me there's been a change of philosophy and it's open in worse condition the last couple years.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Terribly late, but we bagged a lot more auto parts between Guffy and Lupine on 11 Oct 2020!

Trim thing?
DSC01757.JPG
Flanged nut
DSC01760.JPG

Lug nut
DSC01762.JPG
Uh, something
DSC01763.JPG
Crunched pile of plastic bits
DSC01764.JPG
The crunched pile had enough identifying numbers to confirm it's someone's sweet aftermarket wheel center cap.
At least it's for a truck rather than an Audi.

Join in after the snow melts!