New Shots / Big Horn Mine

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Having a blast with my new GoPro. Videos coming sometime in the future.

Early morning at the stamp mill housing

Straps above the lower portal. You'll find these all over on the inside.

Blue Ridge from outside the mine. Mt. Baden Powell used to be called North Baldy.

What a mess. Every time I come here the structure gets worse.

View from above the stamp mill housing. There used to be another building where I'm standing.

Inside the upper portal. An extra bar has been sawed out since the last time I visited. :)

Looking up one of the Big Horn's many shafts. This mine has at least three levels, probably five.

Boiler with a hidden pipe storage area behind.

Creepy Michael Jackson glove pointing the way.

Cave ins galore, Tunnels leading in every direction. Fun city.

The truth is out there ... somewhere.

I met these guys inside the mine, and showed them around some of the larger rooms.

A long drift. The shoring still seems to be holding up well.

One of the sketchier sections. These braces were cut straight out of the forest outside.

Diagonal ceiling braces. This room was 30 feet high.

Three story drop straight ahead, and a false floor.

This is called square set timbering. You won't see this in any other mine in the San Gabriels.

Weird side bracing. Miners shoved in everything but the kitchen sink to hold back the dirt.

Looking down shaft from the second level. This one's about sixty feet deep.

Long shoring corridor with massive cave-in at the end.

First they tell me FREE CANDY. Then they tell me to GO TO HELL. WTF?

Upper and lower tunnel merge. This part is wide enough to drive a truck through.

Looking up another shaft. The vertical rail indicates a skip was used to lower ore.

Baldy in the distance. Below the mine I've found six mine carts so far, and an old cabin. More pix coming soon.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

You really push the limits of mine exploration. Thanks for the report.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

It's the best mine in the San Gabriels by far. I've been in it about eight times. I try to go a little deeper each time, but some areas are really sketchy.
dima

Post by dima »

Thanks for posting those! I've still never made it out there, so the photos are interesting to see.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

A while back there was a post on this site about the Fenner Tunnel in the canyon below the main mine. I've done the whole canyon from top to bottom and still never found it, although I did find six ore carts and the ruins of an old cabin. If anyone else has been down there and seen it can you give me the approx. location? I may have gotten sidetracked by crossing over into another gully to get around a dropoff. Here's a picture of it from Hugh Blanchard's website. Private message me if you don't want to post it publicly. Thanks in advance.

Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

One of the buildings that 'might not be there anymore' could have been the samples shed. IIRC, it was east/northeast end of the site, near where the road first approaches. A very long time ago (~30 yrs), we found the shed with shelves of core samples, well organized except for what had already fallen out or been taken. I picked up a couple of these and kept them for years...might still have them.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

There's a shed fairly close to the mine. Not sure if it's the same one you're talking about. The shelves are still in there. No core samples though.

There's also a small prospect about half a mile past it. This was apparently one of Tom Vincent's original claims. It's either called the Blue Cat Mile or the Little Nell Mile.

Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Thanks for the report. Beautiful pics. I have never been to the mine but would like to visit soon.
I like the Alien pics.
Jaya

Post by Jaya »

Very nice work. Thank you.
margaritox

Post by margaritox »

I’ve been to that mine about 4 times but still can’t find how to get to the upper level. Is there any chance you can clue me in? I felt a little shy about asking because I didn’t know if that was ok to ask.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

margaritox wrote: I’ve been to that mine about 4 times but still can’t find how to get to the upper level. Is there any chance you can clue me in? I felt a little shy about asking because I didn’t know if that was ok to ask.
You've probably already been to the upper level and didn't know you were there. As you enter the mine you'll walk past the intersection of the upper and lower portal adits (where the two tunnels converge. Shortly after that on the left you'll see a shaft going to the upper level with some wooden framing inside. You can get to the top of that shaft by staying left and entering a maze of smaller tunnels to the left (the tunnels with all the graffiti). Just stay left at each intersection and you'll eventually reach the top of it. Just don't fall in or you'll die a horrible death. There a large wooden beam next to it but no other protection. There's also a third level (a lower one) and possibly more, but those are sketchy to get to. Be careful in there, there have been a lot of cave ins lately.
margaritox

Post by margaritox »

CrazyHermit wrote:
margaritox wrote: I’ve been to that mine about 4 times but still can’t find how to get to the upper level. Is there any chance you can clue me in? I felt a little shy about asking because I didn’t know if that was ok to ask.
You've probably already been to the upper level and didn't know you were there. As you enter the mine you'll walk past the intersection of the upper and lower portal adits (where the two tunnels converge. Shortly after that on the left you'll see a shaft going to the upper level with some wooden framing inside. You can get to the top of that shaft by staying left and entering a maze of smaller tunnels to the left (the tunnels with all the graffiti). Just stay left at each intersection and you'll eventually reach the top of it. Just don't fall in or you'll die a horrible death. There a large wooden beam next to it but no other protection. There's also a third level (a lower one) and possibly more, but those are sketchy to get to. Be careful in there, there have been a lot of cave ins lately.
Wow, thank you so much for all this useful information! I cannot express how grateful I am for this. I’ve been trying to figure this out for months.

Can I also ask you a question about the passage that has a a few ladders stacked on top of each other? Do you know where that leads.

And I will definitely take into account what you said about the recent cave ins. I try not to be stupid in places like this, for my own sake, as well as for the sake of preventing having these cool places shut down for everyone else.

Thanks again, Crazyhermit. You’re true OG!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

The only standing ladder I've seen is in really bad shape. And I wouldn't trust any ladders in mines. I'm not sure where the stacked ladders are. The only one I've seen is in a shaft and it's missing the lower half. That one leads up to a grating that's keeping some huge rocks from falling down. You may have been to a place I haven't explored yet. I've probably only seen 2/3rds of the mine, maybe less. There are some cave ins you can get past where nobody has been in a hundred years.
margaritox

Post by margaritox »

CrazyHermit wrote:The only standing ladder I've seen is in really bad shape. And I wouldn't trust any ladders in mines. I'm not sure where the stacked ladders are. The only one I've seen is in a shaft and it's missing the lower half. That one leads up to a grating that's keeping some huge rocks from falling down. You may have been to a place I haven't explored yet. I've probably only seen 2/3rds of the mine, maybe less. There are some cave ins you can get past where nobody has been in a hundred years.
Yea, I’m with you about being weary of ladders in mines. That’s why I haven’t tried climbing them.
And I highly doubt you haven’t been where I have inside the mine. Most likely you just walked passed them. They can be easy to miss but they look like this
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Never seen that metal ladder before. Somebody must have brought that in fairly recently. There's no way I'd climb up that thing. Great photo.
margaritox

Post by margaritox »

It’s definitely recent and I definitely wouldn’t climb it. I was just curious if someone has been up there.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Actually I do know where that goes. You can climb down to it from a sketchy area above. There's a three story structure right above it.
margaritox

Post by margaritox »

A 3-story structure inside the mine? That’s interesting
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

You can see a picture of the top of in in the 17th photo from the top. It's called square set timbering. That shaft with the ladder would have been used to drop ore down to a lower level so it could be hauled out.
margaritox

Post by margaritox »

17th and 16th right?
Ok, would it be ok if I asked where that is?

I mean, I’ve seen the square set timbering in the mine. Is it the one on the upper level (as you have informed me)? That mine is very disorienting.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Yeah, there's a way to get to the bottom of it, but I haven't been down there. I know there's a shaft at the bottom and I think that's the one.
nakagawaallison

Post by nakagawaallison »

Thank you for sharing the pics. I finally got the chance to take my son there on Mother's Day. My son has recently showed an interest in the mine history of the San Gabriels. So like any crazy mother, I went online and purchased old books written by John W. Robinson for him to read up on and research. Of course now I am realizing my error because now he is mapping out old mine trails. He really enjoyed the Big Horn Mine as did I. We did not go as far as you did, so seeing these pics along with the other mine has us making plans to go again. Of course this time I will not bring the nagging person who tagged along. LOL
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Do a little research and you'll find Tom Vincent's old cabin. It's not near the mine, but somewhat close to the parking area. John Robinson was a great writer. I have his old phone number, but unfortunately he died fairly recently. Glad you got a chance to see the mine.
nakagawaallison

We did go to Vincents Cabin. We went the back way in. The beginning of the trail close to the entrance gate for Big Horn Mine has taken a beating (lol). I think there was a debrie slide but we managed with complainer in tow (lol). We just had to go over fallen trees and bushes. I just wish I knew about the second mine that Vincent had. I guess it will be another trip again. Thanks again for sharing.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

The first mine you pass on the way to the main one is called the Fenner tunnel. That one came after Vincent sold the mine, although its still part of the Bighorn family. That's the mine you see off to the right side of the trail. VERY dangerous inside.
nakagawaallison

ROFL I know which one you are talking about because my son crawled in past the metal grate because something caught his eye (I swear he was a squirrel in a previous life). Anyways I had to tell him to get out because I did not have any information on that one so I wouldn't risk my kid's life. Also, the caved in beams was warning enough for me. Of course my boy thinks nothing can happen even though I read articles like the miner entombed in the Governor Mine. Must be nice to be young, dumb, and care free. Thanks for sharing. Tomorrow I am taking my son back to the Las Flores Canyon. He is hell bent on finding all the mines behind Cobb Estate. Dang You Tube. He watches the stuff then comes a bothering me to take him. I get stuck doing all the background work. He keeps bugging me about the Carrie Mine. I told him he could do it when he is considered an adult without me. I know my limits. R/A and Fibromyalgia is not a good cocktail on treacherous trails. LOL
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I have some shots of Las Flores Canyon aka "The Haunted Forest" on an old website of mine. Some of those mines are REALLY dangerous, so be careful.

http://secretmines.com/
nakagawaallison

ROFL. I am sorry but I have to laugh because your website is one of my reference tools along with the late Hugh Blanchard and Jown W Robinson. You mentioned John's books so I spent time tracking them down for my son. I consider it an investment into my son's career since he wants to be a forrest ranger. I was always wondering who did the site. Thank you for doing it. Just so you know, my son was trying to dig one out. That is until I showed him the print out of the information on it. He keeps telling me that if the mines are not cleared history will be lost forever. This is why he is obsessed with the Carrie Mine. It is an item in the mine and the story. I have only allowed him to go in the main mine and that was after I went in first for inspection. I will be honest I was drawn by your information of Cave Pearls. I love rocks. I am going back today because my son wants his friend to see it. Of course I have strict rules. 1. What happens in Las Flores stays in Las Flores (in other words snitches get stitches). 2. Pick up trash and don't be an idiot and make more. 3. Proper clothing and equipment must be worn at all times. 4. Be mindful of your surroundings. 5. Do not touch without surgical gloves 6. Mask up or else. LOL
I thought the last time I went was my last but no. Darn boy of mine has informed me he thinks he knows where tunnel 8 is. Once again You Tube stricks again. Of course I came back with your website and had him read. So now he just wants to see the entrance (lol).
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Thats a really old website, haven't updated it in years. I have John Robinson's old phone number written down in a book, but unfortunately he's dead now. The Carrie is a tough one to find. I'd take you up there but I live in Colorado now. A friend of mine did a great interview with the guy who found it. Good that you have strict rules. Us guys have no common sense.

nakagawaallison

And this is the video my son saw on You Tube that pretty much started it all ROFL. i know your site is old. I had to seriously dig to make sure main mine was okay