Mt. Baldy Trip Report for Fri or Sat, Oct 19 or 20

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Gumby Hiker

Post by Gumby Hiker »

Greetings! Will be taking a friend to Mt. Baldy's summit for his first time on Sunday the 21st. We plan on taking the Ski Hut Trail up. For those who have just hiked the summit, we were wondering: Any snow or ice on the trails/summit that we will encounter?

Thanks!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Should be bone dry. Just windy, probably 35-37 degrees on the backbone.
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Too late to give Gumby a report (I was on it Saturday morning), but I do have a question for those who have been on Baldy's summit during Santa Ana winds. No doubt windy, but how is the temperature?
Rob

Post by Rob »

muddeer, I was at Baldy Summit during Santa Ana winds on 10/7/2007. As I recall the temperature at the summit was in the low 50s and most of the snow that fell the day before melted before we reached the summit. Perfect hiking weather. A couple of hundred feet of trail spooked me -- an exposed narrow ridge at 9000' level on Bear Canyon Trail -- I didn't like crossing the ridge with a gusty 40+ mph crosswind.
calhiker

Post by calhiker »

was there 10/21. Winds seemed to make the summit significantly colder, definitely bring gloves. A few wind gusts actually can throw you off balance.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Rob,

Thanks for posting your candid eval of the conitions. Glad this isn't turning into yet another testosterone forum! :lol:
Gumby Hiker

Post by Gumby Hiker »

No ice or snow to be found anywhere yesterday. The wind was something else, however. It made for a difficult hike up the Ski Hut trail, especially that last part when you're on the ridge and hiking up the bowl. The gloves and wool cap plus multiple layers I wore kept me warm enough, but we only lasted about 20 minutes at the summit before heading down.

Mt. Baldy Road had many small rock slides, and the porta potties at the end of the Falls Road had blown over during the day.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Haha, musta been real fun to clean up those porta potties. :?