Mining Claims // Monitor Consolidated Claims

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
jeko1034
Supercaff

Post by jeko1034 »

Hello everyone. I found a bunch of old land surveys from the 1880s and on and I found one particular one of interest to me. Basically what the map is showing are the locations of mining claims in the section, range, township format. I downloaded an overlay on google earth to show the township range squares to match the map to google earth. Most of the claims on the bottom of the map, are along Pine canyon or Gooseberry canyon. You will definitely recognize the Monitor Lode and Carrie Lode. Also on this map are some tunnels.... Which I want to find..... I would love to collaborate with anyone willing to find any of these mining sites. Send me a direct message and I will send you my email from there.

Monitor Consolidated.jpg

To conclude, I know there are a bunch of people on EisPiraten who know much more about the mines and tunnels of the san gabriels than I do. I need your help to find these places!!!!

~Matt Jackson
dima

Post by dima »

This post reminded me to try to overlay this map onto any modern map, like you have done here. I just played around with it, and it really looks like this map of plats is crooked, and doesn't line up. Were you able to get good alignment?
jeko1034
Supercaff

Post by jeko1034 »

dima wrote:This post reminded me to try to overlay this map onto any modern map, like you have done here. I just played around with it, and it really looks like this map of plats is crooked, and doesn't line up. Were you able to get good alignment?
Not really. My only two familiar points on the plat map was the railroad which I assumed went through Rubio canyon and the other one was the Alpine tavern. I use georefrencer since it works the best.
dima

Post by dima »

There's also the township/section corner point. That point together with the two railroad ends are inconsistent. But looking at the other panels in that plat set, it looks like the section boundary line isn't drawn consistently, so maybe ignoring it (like you did) is the right answer. Tool lazy to attach links, but I'll try again later.
jeko1034
Supercaff

Post by jeko1034 »

dima wrote: There's also the township/section corner point. That point together with the two railroad ends are inconsistent. But looking at the other panels in that plat set, it looks like the section boundary line isn't drawn consistently, so maybe ignoring it (like you did) is the right answer. Tool lazy to attach links, but I'll try again later.
I will try to do more digging...
dima

Post by dima »

Never mind, I wasn't too lazy. Apparently both the township and section boundary lines are completely off. The map does say "unsurveyed". I thought this meant "estimated, but mostly right", but this means "completely made up". Aligning the two ends of the rail, you get roughly this:

https://caltopo.com/l/MF8T

Those of you who know precise locations of any known prospects in this area (Carrie, Suprise, etc): does this line up? Jeko1034: I'd like to team up on an exploration, but probably can't do it until July. So don't wait up on me :)
jeko1034
Supercaff

Post by jeko1034 »

So... I found a map that is zoomed out a bit... But shows the outlines of the rectangular claims overlayed on an old topo of echo mountain etc.
T 2 N R 12 W Zoomed out.jpg