Brush Mtn, San Emigdio Mtn & Tecuya Peak

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

On Wednesday I hiked with my favorite group to check out some of the HPS peaks in the Los Padres National Forest.
The first peak of the day was Brush Mountain. We drove to Forest Service Road 9N27. From here it's an additional 2-mile hike up to the trailhead. An SUV or 4x4 is needed if you wish to drive up the road. It's a very narrow, bumpy road with quite a few dips. At the end of this road is Marian Camp where the use path starts up to Brush Mtn.

From there it's an easy hike up a wide road.

Once you reach the summit, it's very wide and scenic. We searched for a register, and I found a geocache. It was lying on the grass, hidden near a branch. It was covered pretty good with a camouflaged army decor, which made it hard to spot.

View of Brush Mtn

We never found the register, but we found the exact coordinates where Brush Mtn summit should be and placed a new register in a can under a tree.

The geocache and register were placed in two different areas. I researched further, and Peakbagger lists a Brush Mountain North, which is 20 feet from the actual summit. Probably why the geocache was placed at the location I found it, so I tied it to a branch.

We continued to hike up the road half a mile up, making it a little worth our efforts, and checked out a vista point near Brush Mountain.
San Joaquin Valley

A view of Antimony Peak.

Our second peak of the day was San Emigdio Mtn. The trailhead is located off Forest Service Road 9N34. To reiterate, a SUV is recommended. We scrambled up the ridge a short distance to find that some idiot shot up the register can, and all its contents were scattered on the ground. I gathered everything and placed it in a new register can and fixed up the pile of rocks on the summit.

After returning to our cars we walked a short distance and followed another path to the White Rock vista point. It looked like an old rock quarry and was filled with beautiful white rocks. Some of us scrambled down the scree and climbed some of the rocks below.

Our final destination led us to Tecuya Peak which was well worth the wait! Again driving up another hideous road (this was the worst of all 3, and again SUV is needed). We drove for about 4 miles on road 9N21.
The interesting thing was that there were lots of "Private Property", "No Trespassing", and "No Hunting" signs posted on trees along the roadside. ( I forgot to take pictures of those.) Anyways, ironically there were also a few trail signs posted. After driving about 3 miles the signage stopped. We noticed more trail signs leading up to the trail.
When we arrived at the trailhead the sign was all shot up and you could clearly see bullet holes.

The trail begins as an exposed, steep climb as you continue to ascend the road.

It becomes flat again between the first ascent and the final push to the summit. The trail is surrounded by beautiful tall trees. Enjoying the shade for a short distance was quite a treat!

I was so happy to find the first benchmark of the day after bagging 2 peaks.
The Tecuya Benchmark.

The register was hidden under a pile of rocks away from the benchmark next to a bush.

Now I understand why the register was hidden: there was more evidence of bullet holes and a huge knocked down tree that had a target on it.

As always, I walked around the summit in search of additional markers, and I found an earthquake survey marker in the ground, hidden behind a bush surrounded by rocks.

After taking in the views at our final destination, we decided to call it a day. I have previously bagged Antimony and Escapula peaks in the same area and hope to do Eagles Rest next. Frazier Park is a very beautiful area, and there are lots of peaks to explore.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Was the summit BM also placed by the National Center for Earthquake Research? Was RM 1 pointing toward the summit mark?