Tent Recommendations / car camping

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hi All,

Enjoy trail running and hiking. This spring/summer I'd like to do some car camping and I'm looking for a quality tent (simple, durable, and inexpensive.) Weight is not a concern to me. 1 or 2 person tent.

Any suggestions on models or ideas on how to rig up a successful homemade one.

Happy Trails.

-Shreddy
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

How inexpensive do you want? For car camping the choices are plentiful, ease of setup is the key for that.
I have an old REI CampDome tent, still under a hundred at the stores and discounts can be found. I even used it for backpacking a couple of times. It's actually lighter and roomier than the twice-as-pricey HalfDome.

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Try looking online at Sierra Trading Post. Their selection is a little lean right now, but by the end of the summer they seem to get a lot of retail stores' seasonal overstock and discount it quite nicely. About 6 years ago I bought a Sierra Designs tent from them for about 1/2 of what the stores charge, and its big enough to sleep three 6ft tall people comfortably. The only reason I bought it was for car camping, and I wasn't concerned with how much extra space it had just as long as I wasn't "squeezing" myself in like I would with a backpacking tent.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks folks. THis is helpful. I'll check out the REI tent and take a gander at Sierra Trading Post.

Jeff H- How's the ease of set up for the CampDome tent?

Much appreciated.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

shreddy wrote: Thanks folks. THis is helpful. I'll check out the REI tent and take a gander at Sierra Trading Post.

Jeff H- How's the ease of set up for the CampDome tent?

Much appreciated.
I second the Sierra Trading Post recommendation. I highly suggest signing up (free) as a member. Once ever few weeks they'll do a flash sale where they'll drop 40% on their stuff that's already on sale. Especially makes sense if a Big Agnes or Mountain Hardware tent is on your radar.

If you don't find anything there, then I'd suggest going to ActiveJunky.com and signing up there as well. They have a bunch of gear sites they represent and offer cash dividends (and sales) if you use them as the launching pad to one of their partners sites. They pay quarterly and for nothing more than using their site first you can get some nice checks from them.

gearbuyer.com has a pretty good run down of what's out there as well as lowest costs. Sometimes out of date but it's a good jumping off point.

And to toss it out there, while you're going to pay more for a backpacking tent it actually makes sense even if you're car camping just because you'll have an option. Don't need to go ultralight but make sure to pay attention to the weight. Good luck.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Teejate!

Thank you for the links and ideas. Much appreciated.

_Shred