Alto Diablo Peak via 'Duct Tape Ridge,' Jan 17 2015

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

The toughest hike I've done in a while. The 26 lb pack at the trailhead and using snowshoes on a 30%+ grade made for a tiring day.

My trip report and the rest of the photos can be seen here:
Alto Diablo Peak via 'Duct Tape Ridge' Trip Report, Jan 17 2015

Some highlights:

Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

Great trip report thnx.

I'm always on the fence with snowshoes. Used to prefer skiis for everything, but now me older, less skilled. Snowshoes likely safer.

How much did they help on this hike? Did you feel you needed them? Same question applies to crampons. Seems most of the time better off just with boots/ crampons only when icy early AM...
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

Sewellymon wrote: Great trip report thnx.

I'm always on the fence with snowshoes. Used to prefer skiis for everything, but now me older, less skilled. Snowshoes likely safer.

How much did they help on this hike? Did you feel you needed them? Same question applies to crampons. Seems most of the time better off just with boots/ crampons only when icy early AM...
Thanks!

Above 9.4k, I'd say the snowshoes were necessary. Since the snow was so powdery, I was sinking in mid-shin sometimes, even with the snowshoes.

I probably could've gotten by with just microspikes on the way up. On the way down, I got a bit off the established route and ran into some steeper terrain. I was happy that I had the longer spikes on the K10s.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice one Geek. Nice to know that there is snow out there somewhere.
HikingGeek.com

Post by HikingGeek.com »

thanks!

Saturday on Chartlon there was 1 ft + of fresh powder. I will post a trip report soon.