AC Highway: Inspiration Point to Vincent Gap

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I was fortunate enough today in that I was able to take a day off from work to hike the Pacific Crest Trail between Inspiration Point and Vincent Gap. The weather was perfect! This is some of the highest country in the San Gabriel Range and definitely is not as visited as Chantry Flat or Millard...

We left the parking lot at Inspiration Point and started westbound on the PCT when we hiked through one of the most beautiful aspen groves of the Angeles National Forest - in fact, the only aspen grove in this range!

We continued on the PCT and headed down into Jackson Flat to the other natural lake in the San Gabriels. It was incredible...

We climbed out of Jackson Flat and headed down to Vincent Gap via PCT in the forested north side of Hwy 2. We saw quite a nice stand of cedar here.

Put this trip on your calendar. It took us about 4 hours total hiking time. This part of the San Gabriel is most like the Sierra, I guarantee you'll enjoy it...
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Admittedly, that is one stretch of trail I hadn't really considered seriously before. You just changed that. It looks amazing.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Love that area, really close for me and is beautiful. Never went down Jackson flat, how far down is that natural lake? Thats not Jackson lake by the rd is it?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice shot of the lake. I'm off to research that. Thanks for sharing.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Hey, wait a minute...
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Uncle Rico wrote: Hey, wait a minute...
ok I got up for work at 215 and a bit tired but those pics dont look right... Im with rico on this...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mike P wrote: We continued on the PCT and headed down into Jackson Flat to the other natural lake in the San Gabriels. It was incredible...
Say what? A day late for April Fools.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I have been thru most of the San Gabs and that lake isnt there. It looks an awful lot like Hamilton Lakes near Bear paw meadows in the Sequoias.

I think ole Mikie P is trying to pull a fast one on us...
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

thats it I quit the internet. If you cant believe what you read on the internet, what is this world coming to?

I still like that area tho, its nice up there.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I can't find that lake in Google Earth.
dima

Post by dima »

Filename says "Mineral King"
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Uncle Rico wrote: Hey, wait a minute...
yobtaf wrote: ok I got up for work at 215 and a bit tired but those pics dont look right... Im with rico on this...
I saw a bigfoot on the way down to the parking lot. I took a picture of it with my Polaroid camera but i lost the print. Bummer.
HikeUp wrote: Say what? A day late for April Fools.
:) I was on time!
tekewin wrote: I can't find that lake in Google Earth.
Depends where you were looking... :)
yobtaf wrote: thats it I quit the internet. If you cant believe what you read on the internet, what is this world coming to?
Bonjour!
dima wrote: Filename says "Mineral King"
Is that a coincidence or what?
Chicken Legs wrote: I have been thru most of the San Gabs and that lake isnt there. It looks an awful lot like Hamilton Lakes near Bear paw meadows in the Sequoias.

I think ole Mikie P is trying to pull a fast one on us...
Me? Pull a fast one?
As for knowing Hamilton Lake... Yah! We were all there! :)
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Chicken Legs wrote: I have been thru most of the San Gabs and that lake isnt there. It looks an awful lot like Hamilton Lakes near Bear paw meadows in the Sequoias.
I knew right away that lake wasn't in the San Gabriels ------ I didn't see any graffiti on the cliffs and/or the trees and there was no sign of excessive litter on the shoreline. :P :wink: :P
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

You're banned, Rambo! :D :lol: