The New Jetboil Sol

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've posted a few things on my blog leading up to this, but I've now completed my review of the new Jetboil Sol.

The new Jetboil Sol

The new Jetboil Sol features a smaller, lighter pot in either all aluminum or in titanium with an aluminum heat exchanger. In my weighings, I found only about a 1oz difference between the two. Please see the table in my review for details. In addition to the smaller, lighter pot, both versions of the Sol feature this significantly lightened up burner with substantially improved piezoelectric ignition:

The new burner is good, but the regulator valve makes real cooking difficult. The adjustment is tricky to say the least in the lower end of the burner's range. Still, cooking can be done if one is willing to fiddle a bit.

For the review as well as all posts leading up to the review, see: The New Jetboil Sol

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Good stuff Jim. I have been reading over your blog lately, and now I bought a giga power stove. 8) I think Im gonna take it with me today up the PCT to deep creek and give it a try. Good reading over there, keep it up, I enjoy it.
Thanks 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: Good stuff Jim. I have been reading over your blog lately, and now I bought a giga power stove. 8) I think Im gonna take it with me today up the PCT to deep creek and give it a try. Good reading over there, keep it up, I enjoy it.
Thanks 8)
Yeah, I really like the Gigapower. It's really solid for it's class and quite compact. At $40, it's a bargain for what it is.

Did you take it out? How did it go? It was pretty windy yesterday, and upright gas stoves tend to have problems in the wind.

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Yep took it out. It was windy but I found a rock to work with next to the creek. It worked like a charm. A bit heavy compared to the alchy stove, but kinda like a point and shoot. Put water on, couple minutes we had a boil. Very nice indeed. I bought the big canister only because I would be geeking out with it and wasting fuel messing around.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: Yep took it out. It was windy but I found a rock to work with next to the creek. It worked like a charm. A bit heavy compared to the alchy stove, but kinda like a point and shoot. Put water on, couple minutes we had a boil. Very nice indeed. I bought the big canister only because I would be geeking out with it and wasting fuel messing around.

Nice! And that's a good pot size to use with it. People often get really skinny mug shaped pots. Skinny pots pack well, but a lot of heat goes up the sides and is wasted. With a wider, flatter pot, the heating is much more efficient.

You did exactly the right thing by sheltering the stove.

HJ