Camelbak malfunctions

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have learned much about the care and feeding of Camelbaks.

1. I learned to close the drinking line safety valve when I toss my backpack into the trunk of my car, thereby avoiding a silent flooding incident while I'm driving.

2. I learned that drinking lines freeze, and sometimes you can thaw a drinking line by tucking it into your shirt, but that does not always work, so I should consider buying an insulating sleeve for the drinking line.

3. I learned (today) that it's possible for a drinking line safety valve to pop out (did it snag on something?) thereby irrigating the street gutter in Baldy Village with at least a liter of water at dawn.

4. I learned (from all of the above) that it's important to carry extra water -- just in case the Camelbak fails.

5. A friend told me that I should not store water in my Camelbak for more than a day because the plastic could do things to the water I drink. (According to www.camelbak.com, as of last week {4-10-2008}all Camelbak bottles are BPA-free. I don't see mention of hydration pack status, and I don't see mention of plastic cooties other than BPA.)
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I :roll: at the BPA scare.
simonov

Post by simonov »

bertfivesix wrote:I :roll: at the BPA scare.
And traditional HDPE Nalgene bottles are BPA free as well.

I have watched friends grapple with all of the problems Rob mentions (with the typical result that they either lost precious water on the trail or were unable to drink the water they had), which has confirmed in me a distrust of "hydration systems." They might make sense for cyclists and other people who simply can't stop to take a drink of water, but hikers and climbers? The worst that has happened to me is my pack fell on a rock on Villager Peak and a 30-year-old Nalgene bottle shattered. Memo to Nalgene users: update your bottles every, oh, 20 years or so.

Plus I loathe sucking stuff through tubes.

Nalgene or nothing for me.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, Camelbak's have their problems. In really cold wx, it doesn't matter how much insulation you put on them; they freeze. Better off with a nice wide mouth Nalgene. :)

The water can taste a little plasticy if left in a Camelbak for a while. Something's clearly getting into the water. For day use, I don't think it's enough to matter unless maybe you use it every day.

The main reason I don't leave water in my Camelbak is that I'm worried about mold and such. Once something gets established, it's pretty hard to get rid of. I air out my Camelbak until completely dry after every use (although it's pretty hard to get the valve completely dry).

For those who care, a standard clear (with color) Nalgene bottle is made of polycarbonate. The translucent white ones are HDPE. The polycarb ones are associated with BPA's if I'm not mistaken.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I stopped using hydration packs awhile ago. I switched over the my USGI canteens, usually 1qt collapsible "E" canteens. I now just use waterbottles, the kind you get at the quicky mart. Downside of these is the narrow top, so you can't quite pack snow into it, or scoop any up. Not as versatile in that respect, but they are dirt cheap, and they collapse down to nothing.

I have my own reasons for not using hydration bladders, aside from the freezing issues, etc...

I once drank water that had been in a camelback for a few years. Perhaps that's why my memory is so poor? :lol: :cry:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:I switched over the my USGI canteens, usually 1qt collapsible "E" canteens.
I've got one of the standard 1 qt USGI canteens with steel cup and ALCE compatible case, but what the Sam Hill is an "E" canteen?

Hmm. Thanks, Google. I guess you mean:
Very nice. Hmm. Might be good to have one of those if you could get a regular cap instead of the NBC (fits gas mask) one. My Nalgene bladder cantene (that's how they spell it) already has nicks and scratches on it. The USGI one looks like it would hold up better. I remember the 2 qt. ones were pretty good.

Didn't have those back when I was in. Dang I'm an old fart. Did I mention how brutal it was in 'Nam? Kidding. Not THAT old.
Taco

Post by Taco »

We were issued standard hard canteens. I found out about the Echo's awhile later, and bought two. They're really quite handy, and better in any way I can think up over the hard ones (noise discipline, size, falling on hard things, etc).

GIT SUM!
Rob

Post by Rob »

HJ, when you were in, you had to make your own animal skin water carrier, right?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, and all that hiding in caves from the mastodons and sabertooths was a real downer. But let me tell you that the ski conditions were really good back then.

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

I got a camel back last year and it busts all the time. The 100 oz blue thing never ending busting. So I got two to carry just to make sure I had water. :shock: I know I'm still experimenting with how much water I really need to carry. But I read that sipping little bits of water as you hike is better than carrying bottles and drinking larger amounts when you realize you are thirsty. Your body does not absorb larger amounts less often than smaller amounts more often. That it is inconvenient to keep opening bottles and there for you drink bigger volumes. The hose is right there and you can sip away. So I can handle the bad taste, (I am not picky and I never tasted anything other than the huge amounts of Gookinaid I put in it) if it means my body is hydrating the best possible way. Besides my hands are too busy POWER THRUSTING MY OVERWEIGHT BODY UP THE HILL WITH MY HIKING POLES!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:... POWER THRUSTING MY BIG FAT BUTT WITH MY HIKING POLES!
:oops: Please! FIGHT ON. This is a family-friendly forum. :lol:

I've had no real malfunctions (yes it is important to close the valve while in transit) on my Camelbak, but I do have to be mindful when setting it down or the bite valve winds up in the dirt. Gotta figure a better way to clip the tube to something when setting it down. And remember to do it.

The thing I find difficult is knowing how much water I'm using. Am I drinking enough? Too much? With my bottles, I can see how much I'm drinking, how much I have left, and I can mete it out in such a fashion as to not run dry. With the Camelbak, I'm traveling a bit blind. Pretty minor complaint for an otherwise nice system. I hike with trekking poles, so the Camelbak is perfect for drinking on the move. It's a little more maintenance when I get home to get it dried out properly to prevent "the funk," but again a pretty minor complaint. Just be careful in cold wx or you could wind up thirsty. Seen that more than once. :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

OH MY GOD DID I WRITE THAT?? :oops: I CORRECTED IT. SORRY.

I guess it doesn't take that much more time to use a bottle. But it is more work when you are hiking. One bad thing is that on hot days you could have real cold whatever in your camel back but what's in the hose is as hot as it is outside and thats what you drink for your first gulps. burp. What I am finding out is the more things that you can do to make it easier during the hike is well worth the time it takes before the hike. I hate wearing long pants. HATED IT. and I hate rocks in my shoes so I put those gators on. HEAVEN. NO ROCKS. Used to have to stop and empty them. Things like that. I saw at rei a black hydration bag. can't remember the name but it had like three letters on it. Looked real strong but it didn't have a valve or hose. My friend last week told me they now have hoses so I'm gonna check it out. I have an ospri 50 red pack and inside it has these loops that I can hang the camelback on. It also has a place right behind my back were the pack curves to create a space with mesh. I don't put it in there because it's designed to allow the air to pass and avoid back sweat. hate the back sweat. and my camera. I got that down. I have it hanging around my neck. duh. but I attached a mini bungie cord to the left hip pouch pull thingy and when I am done with my pic just go around the straps and hook it to the right hip pull thingy. so it doesn't swing all over the place when I go. :D I'm a happy hiker! :D :roll: :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:I saw at rei a black hydration bag. can't remember the name but it had like three letters on it. Looked real strong but it didn't have a valve or hose.
Probably an MSR Dromedary http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/dromedary.asp

I bought a Nalgene Cantene (that's how they spell it. lame). Kinda wish I'd spent the extra on the Dromedary. The Cantene is all nicked and scratched. Seems like only a matter of time before it gets punctured. Maybe I need to wrap it in a shirt all the time or something.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

looks a whole lotta lighter than that msr burlap sack. And how ya supposed to know if it is clean?