Living in civilization or living in the wilderness?

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

This was a poll. These haven't been imported. Sorry.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I saw that movie. My first impression of the guy was that he's just a glorified homeless man/freeloader.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Far enough away that I can make extremely loud noises and nobody will hear me, and close enough to drive to someplace that has beer.
obie

Post by obie »

When the morphine & oxycontin finally left my system I changed my mind and decided Lone Pine was not for me.

When things go south it is a little easier to be working on solutions inside the 405.
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Id rather live in the woods. with monthly visits to a small town.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

TacoDelRio wrote:Far enough away that I can make extremely loud noises and nobody will hear me, and close enough to drive to someplace that has beer.
:lol: and the way you drive, when you get back to the cabin, the beer will still be cold! :wink:

Before Ice House became a freeway, I thought it'd be a nice spot. One time a cabin, right on the trail, came up for sale. We called out of curiosity - $40,000.00!

Much more imposing than the 40 grand were all the rules, regulations and upkeep that seemed like a full time job in itself.

A little more closer to home, and to cold beer and maybe a pizza or ten, those cabins in and around Big Santa Anita canyon have always hit me a ton of charm.

The best of both worlds - can it really happen? Maybe in a perfect world...
Taco

Post by Taco »

Holy crap, $40k? What were some of the things they'd require of you?
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

TacoDelRio wrote:Holy crap, $40k? What were some of the things they'd require of you?
Called my buddy yesterday - they sent him a list of what he could do/not do/had to do - but he doesn't have the letter anymore.

When I made the initial call for him, I just remember the 'real estate' agent emphasizing the requirements to keep the area around the cabin free of leaves/brush, fire hazard talk was strong. Also, since the cabin was so close to the trail, there were some requirements there too.

More so than the work required to keep it up, I think the red tape business squashed any idea of buying the cabin. That and the $40,000.

We joked about it again last night - we were thinking it might fetch $15,000 tops. :D
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Forest Service cabins are the best of both worlds. Here's the page I wrote about the BigSAC cabins for the Adams' Pack Station site: http://adamspackstation.com/cabins.html
Taco

Post by Taco »

Harumph.

Part of living in the boonies is generally not caring what others think of your property (not that it'll turn into a redneck paradise or anything). Kinda a buzzkill.