Mount Muir 5.29.10

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Phil, Jim and i squeezed in a Sierra day hike over the weekend and we were able to tag Mount Muir, elevation 14,012 feet.

i had tried this peak last June with Dave G and between not trusting my old desert hiking boots that i was wearing and not having the guts to make a lateral undercling move on a friction slab i choked. this time Phil armed with the knowledge of my deficit, hiked with a rope and some aid to make sure i could make the summit. what a guy!!

we had a great hike except for the unfortunate falls both guys took while crossing Carillon and Lone Pine Creeks before 5 am. both of them took a spill on the ice on the crossings while it was still dark. ouch!

we took advantage of the slabs above Lone Pine Lake and the winter snow traverse to save time plus it creates a more direct route to Trail Camp. i was suffering from some GI problems that morning and as i started up the chute felt like it was time to turn in the towel. Phil, bless his heart, would not hear of it and suggested we count 50 steps and then break for a minute all the way to Trail Crest. his encouragement, pace and generosity of staying with me as i slugged it upward got me there. with a decent break at TC i was feeling myself again and the traverse of the backside to Muir was a breeze. thank you Phil!! we had great snow all day, though near rocks it is really thinning and caution must be maintained. if the Sierra continues to have sunny days we will finally begin to see a decline in the conditions as summer (tries to) arrive.

the route finding from the trail to the beginning of the Class3 climb was easy and equipped with beta from Dave G, his photos and my memory we had no trouble following the route. Phil belayed me across the Class3 move that i failed last year and down it again as we descended.

it was a thrill to finally sit atop Muir's summit and enjoy the view on such a perfect day. this was my 7th fourteener and a perfect way to begin the Sierra summer season. though with all the snow, i'm still wondering when it will ever feel like summer in the Sierra???

Our objective

Following Phil up the Class3 route

Nice view of Mount Whitney from the summit

On the downclimb i took a photo of the benign looking bump in the center over the slab which is the move that defeated me last time.

On the winter traverse back after a great day

rest of my pix are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma81/MountMuir52910#
James

Post by James »

Awesome Norma! Muir is a really fun one but some of the moves are nerve racking. Amazing views though. Great pictures, what a great weekend up there. Thanks for sharing.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Great job taking care of business on Muir, Norma! That little slab freaks a lot of people out until they get on it and discover that the holds are all there (thank God :D ). There is an alternative route that avoids it, but at the cost of a little more sustained Class 3.

Actually, I did carry a light rope up when we went last year. I think your main issue then was the amount of snow and ice on the route, which was understandable.

Congrats to you, Phil and Jim--Muir is a beautiful peak and the views of Whitney and its environs from there can't be beat!

Robin on Mt Muir/Father's Day '09
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

norma r wrote:we had a great hike except for the unfortunate falls both guys took while crossing Carillon and Lone Pine Creeks before 5 am. both of them took a spill on the ice on the crossings while it was still dark. ouch!
Hopefully they don’t have the same amount of scars that I do :o let’s not start a bad trend here :shock: :D :D

Nice work Jim, Phil and Norma (great pictures as always)

Next time anyone is going up to do that I’m in, I’ve always wanted to bag all the “Needles” leading up to Whitney including Mount Muir – it’s such great views from up there.

What’s on the schedule for this weekend – Shasta? Or are you doing something local?
norma r

Post by norma r »

Patrick,
Shasta fell through. the group i was going with did not want to make the trip when the weather was so iffy and we all could not postpone to Mon/Tues when the weather was expected to clear. I'm hoping Tina will have a great trip as she is going no matter what.

I'm not sure what the weekend will hold for me now? I'm looking at maybe the southern Sierra if it's not too hot. Gotta decide by tomorrow...