Ski Hut Backbone loop 12-16-07

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Left Manker at about 5am and hiked up the ski hut trail. After crossing the boulder field, I ascended straight up the snow slope to the ridge. The ice in the trees above 9k feet was beautiful, but look out for the falling icicles! Not sure what time I reached the summit, but when I arrived I had the pleasure of meeting Tacodelrio and HE219. Spent about 15 minutes or so chatting with Taco and HE219, and then a guy wearing shorts came along! It was probably about 35 or so on top with a light west wind. The guy in shorts (I never did get his name) and I decided to descend via the Devils Backbone. I took the gully underneath the ski lift back down to the parking lot, then back to manker. There were allot of cars at manker, but most of them were people playing in the snow. The weather was awesome and the snow was great.
Taco

Post by Taco »

That was HE219. 8)

It was good meeting you, Mark. I met someone coming down the Backbone who looked just like you, but he had a different pack and jacket. He still repsonded to your name though!
He219

Post by He219 »

That's classic, hvydrt!

So right after we joked about people summiting Baldy in shorts you actually ran into somebody up there wearing shorts. LOLz