Skiing North Face Jacinto !?!

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Don't know if this is really a question or a comment... but this photo, 'borrowed' from John Robinson's 'San Jacinto' book...

Every time we drive by the north face on our way to the desert, I look up there and can't believe it is even somewhat skii-able...

This pictures says 'enroute down Snow Creek' --- so the next time I drive by and see Snow Creek, if I look straight up from there, can I really tell my friend that people ski down that slope?

If I didn't know of this photo, I still might not believe it!!!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

My wilderness partner has skied it a couple of times.

He was fortunate to escape from an avalanche in the next couloir that surely would have swept him to his death.
Taco

Post by Taco »

It's steep, but it's do-able. It's not overly narrow until the last 500+ft. That said, I don't ski.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

We had a guy here at work who used to ski it with Randonee gear. I thought he was nuts. :)

Post by 406 »

it is on my to do list, but access and conditions have been an issue.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Very interesting ...... and amusing info! Thanks... I still can't believe people go down this face let alone up it....

406, now those would be some pictures I'd really love to see.... in fact, how much would it cost me to finance a helmet cam for you :wink: :?:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

outwhere wrote:Very interesting ...... and amusing info! Thanks... I still can't believe people go down this face let alone up it....

406, now those would be some pictures I'd really love to see.... in fact, how much would it cost me to finance a helmet cam for you :wink: :?:
Probably just the cost of the cam. On sale right now at most sporting goods store. :lol:

Post by 406 »

the pov helmet cam footage makes me car sick...seems to be popular although, so I must be in the minority.