Nice Site!

Comments & questions about this site.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice site! Very cool. 8)

Can we delete the "Ads by Google" thing that appears to be appending itself to postings?
Travis

Post by Travis »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Nice site! Very cool. 8)

Can we delete the "Ads by Google" thing that appears to be appending itself to postings?
thanks! The adds are part of the free service, they only append themselves to the bottom of the latest post. I may upgrade at some point and pay for them to go away,

Travis
Taco

Post by Taco »

I'll contribute so I'm not a completely worthless bum. :lol:
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Hi, all. Thanks for setting up the forum. I plan to visit it often. How about a sticky post with links to websites that users might find helpful: like Steve Larson's overview of San Gabriels on SP, other local climbing/hiking sites (mtsanjacinto.info, ODC, sgwa.org, etc.).
Travis

Post by Travis »

muddeer wrote:Hi, all. Thanks for setting up the forum. I plan to visit it often. How about a sticky post with links to websites that users might find helpful: like Steve Larson's overview of San Gabriels on SP, other local climbing/hiking sites (mtsanjacinto.info, ODC, sgwa.org, etc.).
sounds like a good idea to me, do you mean just make another heading to "Useful Links" or is there a way to make a "sticky post"?

thanks,
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

admin wrote:do you mean just make another heading to "Useful Links" or is there a way to make a "sticky post"?
I believe most message board services allow the administrator to make sticky posts. Sorry, but I don't know any more than that. But adding another forum "Useful Links" would also work fine.

edit: It may also help to have two different sticky posts - one for links to message board websites and another one for links to information sites (like SP and sgwa.org).
Christina

Post by Christina »

Hi Travis. Really glad to see your site open up. I actually was really happy to see the Google ads on your site because I was impressed that somebody could actually go out and recruit sponsors. (Didn't realize that the ads were part of the site software) The ads don't bother me, I think they are a great idea. One of the other sites is owned by a person who owns a store at a trailhead. His reasons for massaging everybody's ego who posts on his site are obvious. So are the reasons for another person who posts regularly on his site (A hiking guide who runs a service in the area and must be "customer service" sticky sweet to everybody). Most of the better things in life are not free. Maybe if your site gets popular enough, you can enlist sponsors. I would love to see that. Good job Travis, and I wish you the best of luck. Love your site.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Thank you very much Christina, I am actually looking at running the software for this discussion at my own website, but it may take some time. I am not overly bothered by the adds either,

Travis
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

This site has taken off like gangbusters. There was obviously a lot of pent-up demand out there. Maybe that's no surprise, given the number of hikers I regularly encounter in the San Gabriels. Nevertheless, I am amazed by the breadth of the conversations in such a short time.

I think we'd be lucky to get Kurt Wedberg (the guide who is so popular in the WPS Message Board) to contribute here. He has climbed Mt. Baldy a couple of hundred times (and is way behind his dad, whose total is beyond 750). His knowledge of everything connected with Baldy, including the most arcane routes, is phenomenal. Anyone who gets a chance to hike with him would be well-advised to take advantage of the opportunity. I'm sure that leading free group trips up Baldy is good for his business, but that is business in the best, most positive sense of the concept! :D
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

Well said Alan. I was lucky enough to hike with Kurt. Here is his website
http://www.sierramountaineering.com/
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Christina wrote:One of the other sites is owned by a person who owns a store at a trailhead.
The only site that meets that description is the Whitney Portal Sttore Messaage Board... which maks the next sentence confusing:
His reasons for massaging everybody's ego who posts on his site are obvious.
Doug is a great guy in person. One thing I had never (before today) seen anyone say about his Message Board is that he massages egos. I'd be imressed if one could actually find examples of that.

It is impossible to miss the underlying theme here that business is intrinsically bad -- that everything on the Web should be purely altrustic. I see no sense in that. The WPS board is a great service and it is hugely popular. The one problem is has had is trolls, but Doug has gotten tough on them and the board has run smoothly for several years now. No one seems to care about the link between the board and the business. And why should they? There are no strings attached to use of the Board.
Christina

Post by Christina »

Alan K - Trust me I've been up Whitney more times than you have. I've had the pleasure if talking to Doug more times than you have. He is a great guy. But his "customer service responsibilities" of maintaining his board are transparant to most people.

Great guy - with a tough job to do, especially dealing with people like you.

(removed by admin, your comment was not appropriate, I don't want to have to start moderating anyone)
Christina

Post by Christina »

sorry admin.. thought it was an innocent question. didn't mean to offend anyone.. it was just a hunch.. bet i'm right.

My Pop was from Texas, we moved to Cali when I was 3. I've heard him countless times ask someone - "Hey, you Jewish?" The person would either laugh and say yep you're right, or laugh and say no way.. Either way it was always cool.

Didn't mean ro ruffle any feathers here. Just got a really strong vibe about Alan K. Maybe I'm wrong. If so - my bad...
Taco

Post by Taco »

We don't need this kinda political crap here. Really. Nobody wants to hear this, especially not those of us who really want this site to work. If you or anyone has any personal problem with anyone else on the forum, please use Email to contact them.

Thank you.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Christina wrote:Alan K - Trust me I've been up Whitney more times than you have. I've had the pleasure if talking to Doug more times than you have.
I simply can't imagine that anyone cares how many times either of has either been up Whitney or talked to Doug. What I do care about is that a large fraction of your posts on thie board have been attacks on other boards (boards on which you do not dare post), people who run them, and people who post on them (including people who haven't posted in years). Your obsession is impressivebut it wears thin right away. You seem to be striving for an atmosphere that no one besides you wants to see here.

One thing I will do is back up what I say. You claimed on this very thread that Doug Thompson massages the egos of everyone who posts on his Board. I won't ask you to show him massaging literally everyones' egos. Anyone can exaggerate a bit. Just show a handful of examples and I will admit that I was wrong about Doug. We don't have to hash this out here. Send me a PM with the examples and I will fess up in public.