Blue Ridge Road (3N06)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

jfr wrote:Does anyone know if the road is open for the Summer yet? And how far you can get toward Wright Mountain?
Last year the gate was closed at Guffy Camp, which is a couple miles before Wright Mtn. You could try calling the Big Pines Station for info. They are open tomorrow.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/angeles ... ecid=41866
jfr

Post by jfr »

Well, I was up there yesterday, May 18th, and the main gate was still locked. There were two guys in a truck who had just re-locked the gate behind them, so I asked them when the gate would be opened. He made a guess and said "Mid-June?" but he didn't sound like her knew for sure. I asked him where he got the magic key for the gate, and he laughed. They were headed up the road to do some work on some equipment up there, probably for Mountain High.

Anyway, I managed to get the water stashed anyway, but had to hike up the Acorn Trail to reach Wright Mountain, so it's all good.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
jfr

Post by jfr »

The main gate to the road was open for Memorial Day Weekend, and the gate heading down to Lupine near Guffy Camp was open, as well.
71scout2

Post by 71scout2 »

There is a seasonal spring at Guffey, was it flowing?
jfr

Post by jfr »

Guffy Spring was flowing as of 6/2/2019 according to the PCT water report: https://pctwater.com/
See "Part Two: Idyllwild to Agua Dulce"
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

What gates are open on Blue Ridge Road near Wrightwood? I'm interested in doing the Dawson Peak loop. Some of those trails out that way are all but non-existent and will take more time than usual, so I'd like to know how close to the trailhead I can get. The Dawson Peak Trail and the trail to Upper Fish Fork Camp are nearly indistinguishable from their surroundings these days.
  • Is the gate at Highway 2 open?
  • Is the gate at Guffy Campground open so that I can drive further toward the Pine Mtn Trailhead?
  • I think there's a gate between Blue Ridge Campground and Guffy Campground -- is that gate open?
  • Can I drive all the way to the Pine Mountain trailhead?
  • Can I drive all the way to Lupine Campground?
  • Are there any other gates or road conditions I should know about? I have a manly man Honda Accord and an uber mensch (ha ha) Honda Civic available to me. The Accord probably has slightly better clearance.
Thanks for any info you can give me! And, yes, I'm going to call the Grassy Hollow Visitor Center, but sometimes, honestly, the volunteer or ranger in the Visitor Center just doesn't know or has outdated information. A first hand report is best; I'd rather not drive all the way out there if the gate is closed at Angeles Crest.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Anyone been out Blue Ridge Road Lately?
  • Can I drive to Guffy? Are all gates open?
  • Can I drive to the Pine Mountain/North Backbone trailhead?
  • Can I drive down to Lupine Campground? How's the road these days?
Thanks!

HJ
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

1. ACH is open all the way to Wrightwood.
2. There's a gate at Guffy and it should be open. You should call the FS and double check.
3. Not sure about that gate.
4. I have driven all the way to the Pine Mountain TH but I have a 4Runner. I've never seen a sedan back there. It might be doable but you'd be pushing it.
5. I would not recommend driving a sedan to Lupine CG. Unless they've made improvements, you would not make it.

For hikes like this that have multiple gates and unknown road conditions, I usually call the forest service and ask.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, @Anthony, thanks.

You're information is about what I'd expect -- I didn't really think that the road to Lupine (3N39) would be significantly improved without a special project grant or something.

Really, for the loop that I want to do, it makes the most sense to just park at Guffy and walk the road out to the Pine Mtn TH and the return via the Lupine Road/3N39 unless I can arrange a car shuttle with others hike with me, but no one has yet committed to this yet though. :)

I tried calling Grassy Hollow, but I got some message that the call couldn't be completed as dialed. Not sure what's going on there. I will definitely call Big Pines tomorrow (they're closed during the week) and see what they have to say.

HJ
Sean

Post by Sean »

I haven't been on that road this season yet. Last time I checked it had some rough parts but you could probably get an Accord to Guffy. The Lupine Road, no way, unless they've fixed it recently.

Driving to the North Backbone is probably unnecessary, as you'll have to walk that section either way when doing the loop. Might as well park at Guffy (or Lupine Road gate) and save some time--and gas.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Long time no see HJ! I think the last time I saw you was 10 years ago on our hike to Pine from Guffy...
P1110800.JPG

Sorry no answers to your questions (other than many many years ago - 1990ish - I made it to the Pine TH in my Accord), just wanted to say hi. Hope you get out there...post a TR if you do!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

HikeUp wrote: Long time no see HJ! I think the last time I saw you was 10 years ago on our hike to Pine from Guffy...
undefined
Sorry no answers to your questions (other than many many years ago I made it to the Pine TH in my Accord), just wanted to say hi. Hope you get out there...post a TR if you do!
That's a great stretch of the PCT right there
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sean wrote: Driving to the North Backbone is probably unnecessary, as you'll have to walk that section either way when doing the loop. Might as well park at Guffy (or Lupine Road gate) and save some time--and gas.
@Sean , thanks. Yeah, I kind of have things mapped out from the junction where the road down to Lupine splits off of Blue Ridge.

I've now got a couple of other people who are going to come with me, at least one of which has a higher clearance vehicle. Is the road down to Lupine so rough that 4WD is needed or is high clearance good enough? If we can arrange one more high clearance vehicle, we can set up a shuttle and avoid the pain-in-the-but road walk at the end. Of course, that assumes that we can do the hike. The currently burning Sheep Fire may mean that we postpone this hike and go with "Plan 'B.'"

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

@HikeUp , nice pic! Dang, that goes back a ways. I still have that backpack although it's looking pretty ugly these days. That was a good hike that time -- except that Will was really freaked out about the slidey descent on the way back.

How are you doing? We actually set out with possibly doing a loop the day we went up the north backbone but turned back because you were concerned regarding some recent (at the time physical challenges). I hope that all has settled down.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote: @HikeUp , nice pic! Dang, that goes back a ways. I still have that backpack although it's looking pretty ugly these days. That was a good hike that time -- except that Will was really freaked out about the slidey descent on the way back.

How are you doing? We actually set out with possibly doing a loop the day we went up the north backbone but turned back because you were concerned regarding some recent (at the time physical challenges). I hope that all has settled down.

HJ
Yeah, always felt bummed about that hike being cut short. It was only a few months after my open heart valve replacement surgery and I bit off more than I could handle. I remember Will's trepidation on the descent, but don't blame him - slippery trail with 1000' drop offs on either side of you! Haven't hiked in the mountains for about 9 years, mainly because of work, but also some health issues. So now I am retiring and fat, so I'm planning on hitting the trails again.

Hope all's well with you. See ya around - have a great hike!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Sean wrote: Driving to the North Backbone is probably unnecessary, as you'll have to walk that section either way when doing the loop. Might as well park at Guffy (or Lupine Road gate) and save some time--and gas.
@Sean , thanks. Yeah, I kind of have things mapped out from the junction where the road down to Lupine splits off of Blue Ridge.

I've now got a couple of other people who are going to come with me, at least one of which has a higher clearance vehicle. Is the road down to Lupine so rough that 4WD is needed or is high clearance good enough? If we can arrange one more high clearance vehicle, we can set up a shuttle and avoid the pain-in-the-but road walk at the end. Of course, that assumes that we can do the hike. The currently burning Sheep Fire may mean that we postpone this hike and go with "Plan 'B.'"

HJ
If the road to Lupine is in the same condition it was a couple years ago when I went, then you wouldn't make it to the CG without high clearance. I made it there with my stock 4Runner and it was pushing it. There's one spot in particular that's kinda hairy. A sedan or crossover SUV with minimal clearance wouldn't have made it. This was a couple years ago though.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I'm just grateful that nothing bad happened on that hike. Very little went according to plan, but, on the other hand, it was a good day out. A nice ramble in remote, high country.

I'm just not getting out the way I used to. Work, yeah, and my junior partner is a teenager now-a-days and doesn't necessarily want to hike. "Daddy duty" doesn't involve hiking the way it used to. Sigh, but such is life.

Congrats on your impending retirement!

HJ
Sean

Post by Sean »

I called the Acton Work Center. They confirmed that the Lupine Road is closed because it's in bad condition.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sean wrote: I called the Acton Work Center. They confirmed that the Lupine Road is closed because it's in bad condition.
Oh, so it's entirely closed? Good to know.

Well, now my only hesitation is the Sheep Fire. The friends I want to go with a concerned about smoke and such (which is a legit concern of course).

HJ
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Sean wrote: I called the Acton Work Center. They confirmed that the Lupine Road is closed because it's in bad condition.
Oh, so it's entirely closed? Good to know.

Well, now my only hesitation is the Sheep Fire. The friends I want to go with a concerned about smoke and such (which is a legit concern of course).

HJ
I would imagine the smoke is pretty bad out there
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, this is weird. I asked around on Reddit, and a person who said he was a volunteer at Grassy Hollow said that the road to Lupine was open if you have 4WD. Dunno what to think.

I guess if the smoke clears and all that, then I could go but just be prepared to do the road walk. If the road is open and I can do a car shuttle, so much the better.

HJ
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Well, this is weird. I asked around on Reddit, and a person who said he was a volunteer at Grassy Hollow said that the road to Lupine was open if you have 4WD. Dunno what to think.

I guess if the smoke clears and all that, then I could go but just be prepared to do the road walk. If the road is open and I can do a car shuttle, so much the better.

HJ
Call the Santa Clara Mojave Rivers Ranger District: (661) 269-2808, ext. 221
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Anthony wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: Well, this is weird. I asked around on Reddit, and a person who said he was a volunteer at Grassy Hollow said that the road to Lupine was open if you have 4WD. Dunno what to think.

HJ
SO one place says it's closed. Another person says it's open. Santa Clara Mojave Ranger District will likely say "That road doesn't exist!"
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

HikeUp wrote:
Anthony wrote:

HJ
SO one place says it's closed. Another person says it's open. Santa Clara Mojave Ranger District will likely say "That road doesn't exist!"
Ha! Well they're the ones who gave me the green light last time. Come to think of it, the road MIGHT be temporarily closed due to the fire.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yesterday, the US National Weather Service had "areas smoke" listed in the forecast. Today, the forecast says "sunny," then "clear."

I also notice on Inciweb -- https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/8151/69105/ -- the following:
Sheep Fire Update June 15, 2022 0900 hours
Sheep Fire Wildfire
News – 46 min. ago
Currently, the Sheep Fire is burning both in the Angeles National Forest and on private land near Wrightwood, CA. San Bernardino County reported the fire on Saturday, June 11, 2022, at 6:36 p.m. to the Angeles National Forest Emergency Communications Center. The fire was initially reported as approximately ¼-acre in size.
Fighting this fire has been especially challenging due to dense vegetation, steep terrain, and high and erratic winds. Crews continue to make good progress on the containment of the fire. Efforts taking place include hand lines and hose lays around the perimeter of the fire. Crews will continue to utilize helicopters to support containment efforts. The cause of the fire is under investigation. Crews will be working near the roadway, please use caution when driving through the area.

Evacuation orders and warnings for the communities of Wrightwood and Desert Front have been lifted. Highway 2 will remain closed from Wright Mountain Road to Desert Front Road while CalTrans and Southern California Edison repair infrastructure along Highway 2 in the fire area. For specific details, visit the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Twitter site: @sbcountysheriff
They must have pretty high confidence that the fire is under control if they've lifted evac orders & warnings. There is a short section (1.5 mi) of Hwy 2 under closure, but nothing else. I've marked the closure on this map link: https://caltopo.com/m/FA7M

I've also turned on data from the MODIS and VIIRS fire detection satellites on the above map link. Notice that there are zero current detections as of this writing. In other words the intensity of the fire is now below the point at which it can be detected, i.e. the fire is more or less just smoldering now (probably with occasional flare ups).

Just speculating, but maybe I actually can head to Blue Ridge this weekend.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Yesterday, the US National Weather Service had "areas smoke" listed in the forecast. Today, the forecast says "sunny," then "clear."

I also notice on Inciweb -- https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/8151/69105/ -- the following:
Sheep Fire Update June 15, 2022 0900 hours
Sheep Fire Wildfire
News – 46 min. ago
Currently, the Sheep Fire is burning both in the Angeles National Forest and on private land near Wrightwood, CA. San Bernardino County reported the fire on Saturday, June 11, 2022, at 6:36 p.m. to the Angeles National Forest Emergency Communications Center. The fire was initially reported as approximately ¼-acre in size.
Fighting this fire has been especially challenging due to dense vegetation, steep terrain, and high and erratic winds. Crews continue to make good progress on the containment of the fire. Efforts taking place include hand lines and hose lays around the perimeter of the fire. Crews will continue to utilize helicopters to support containment efforts. The cause of the fire is under investigation. Crews will be working near the roadway, please use caution when driving through the area.

Evacuation orders and warnings for the communities of Wrightwood and Desert Front have been lifted. Highway 2 will remain closed from Wright Mountain Road to Desert Front Road while CalTrans and Southern California Edison repair infrastructure along Highway 2 in the fire area. For specific details, visit the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Twitter site: @sbcountysheriff
They must have pretty high confidence that the fire is under control if they've lifted evac orders & warnings. There is a short section (1.5 mi) of Hwy 2 under closure, but nothing else. I've marked the closure on this map link: https://caltopo.com/m/FA7M

I've also turned on data from the MODIS and VIIRS fire detection satellites on the above map link. Notice that there are zero current detections as of this writing. In other words the intensity of the fire is now below the point at which it can be detected, i.e. the fire is more or less just smoldering now (probably with occasional flare ups).

Just speculating, but maybe I actually can head to Blue Ridge this weekend.

HJ
Check some of the webcams from around Wrightwood to see what the atmosphere looks like.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: Long time no see HJ! I think the last time I saw you was 10 years ago on our hike to Pine from Guffy...
I think I need to notify the moderator(s). That photo is obviously not from 10 years ago. If it were from 10 years ago, then I would be 10 years older, which clearly I am not. Therefore I declare it "fake news." I'm glad that's settled. Carry on.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

my bad