SNOW - Questions, Forecasts & Reports About Snow

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
He219

Post by He219 »

We're minutes away from getting blasted by the next system:

Post by 406 »

He219 wrote:
Beautiful Saturday morning!!
I hope 406 didn't get catch the Baldy Tunnel mess:
Was early enough in the morning to avoid traffic issues, but it took ~2 hours to drive the 4 miles from the resort to the village when we left around 5 pm. That sucked, but better at the end of the day.

Snow on Saturday was good...wind blown, but nice coverage and fun skiing. Got pretty warm in the afternoon and snow got pretty soupy.

Looked like a couple small slab type avalanche with crown height of ~2 ft took place near chair one on Friday. I'm offline on the weekends and don't have TV, so didn't find out about the Mt. High avalanche and fatalities until late Sunday...was surprised at the location and would like to see a real avalanche report, not a dumbed down news report.

Was blue sky in the morning, but clouds rolled in the afternoon and it started raining around 5 pm.
simonov

Post by simonov »

While fooling around on Flickr I found this photoset of a Baldy climb from Sunday. I don't know who these guys are, maybe forum members, but the photos give a pretty good idea of what conditions were like up there right after Saturday's snow.

It looks like they started in the village at 9:00am (according to the EXIF data in the photos) and summited just after 3:00pm. Yikes, that's cutting it close. There doesn't appear to be a lot more snow, and given the warm temperatures forecast for this week I suppose most of the new snow will be gone by this weekend (when I am heading up again).
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice pics!

Simonov, you should try a night hike/climb/walk/movement/etc with us sometime. It's VERY nice. I prefer it to the daytime under most circumstances. Kind of a PITA getting time off obviously. :cry:
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Up to 12 inches of new snow is expected in the local mountains tomorrow night.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

OH I HOPE SO!

Anyone who wants to do anything snow or alpine related, this is our last chance.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

The forecast doesn't as snowy now - sounds like just a few inches might fall - maybe the season is over. :(
muddeer

Post by muddeer »

Is there some place near Baldy's summit that's still covered with snow? I need to practice setting up my new tent on snow. Windy is okay; any flat spot would do. Thanks.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

There are several summit plateaus that might fit for ya. if not, West baldy offers much as well.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

since Baldy is on fire, how is the vivian creek route on san g?

any latest pics?
thnx
justinjohnsen

Post by justinjohnsen »

Check this forum for last weekend's updates.
seadweller wrote:since Baldy is on fire, how is the vivian creek route on san g?

any latest pics?
thnx
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!

NEEEEEED!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

You mean you haven't installed your home ice climbing gym? :D
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

Could you imagine the electric bill? It might work in a walk-in freezer. Just keep tossing water on a wall until you get a thick ice layer... Anybody work at a grocery store? (And don't mind getting fired.)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

8)

No matter what other hobbies or deals you've got going on off-season, nothing matches putting yourself or a group against an alpine objective.

I want to hit it very hard this season. I need to see the edge again.

Post by 406 »

TacoDelRio wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!

NEEEEEED!!!
I got reports of fresh snow in the western mountains of Montana last week.

Post by 406 »

TacoDelRio wrote:8)

No matter what other hobbies or deals you've got going on off-season, nothing matches putting yourself or a group against an alpine objective.

I want to hit it very hard this season. I need to see the edge again.
Not that I want you to leave town, but have you thought about moving to a location that has a long winter?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, sorta. Don't wanna move too far away from all the folks I know. Idaho came to mind, as well as southern Alaska. Starbucks ain't payin' enough for me to consider just yet, just dreamin'!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Hey, you still down to have me tag along and learn the ropes behind you taco?
I'm looking forward to my first winter doing stuff.

Also! You work at starbucks?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yup, anyone who wants to go this winter is good to go by me. Starting off nice and easy with the basics, and then coming along on other more technical stuff depending on individual comfort level with the selected objective.

Yup, I'm a "Barista".
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:Yup, anyone who wants to go this winter is good to go by me. Starting off nice and easy with the basics, and then coming along on other more technical stuff depending on individual comfort level with the selected objective.

Yup, I'm a "Barista".
:lol: anyone? :lol:
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Don't knock the barista!

Which one you at? I know you're in and around Diamond Bar. I work in db as well!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Funyan005 wrote:Don't knock the barista!

Which one you at? I know you're in and around Diamond Bar. I work at the one over on Db blvd and gold spring I think it is. Just got hired.
I want a.......... Half Decaf - Grande - Quad - Half Non-Fat - Half Soy - Wet Whole Milk Foam - Two Splenda - Extra Hot - Nutmeg - Three Ice Cubes - Double Cup - Double Pump Peppermint - Single Pump Mocha for myself and a...Tall - White chocolate mocha frappuccino light blended coffee beverage - skim milk - half a shot of espresso - sugar free syrup with a shot of vanilla - with chocolate chips - hold the whip for my sister and a....Double Ristretto Venti Half-Soy Nonfat Decaf Organic Chocolate Brownie Iced Vanilla Double-Shot Gingerbread Frappuccino Extra Hot With Foam Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended, One Sweet’N Low and One Nutrasweet, and Ice for my dog.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hell no. F*ck those drinks. :lol: That said, complicated drinks don't piss me off much, so long as the customer is patient. Some customers say "Hey, I had a _____ Latte and I'm in a hurry!" Well too f*cking bad, shouldn't ordered it if you were in such a hurry. Go join the friggin' Army and quit yer whinin'.

Funyan, PM sent since I kinda don't wanna post my location on ze webzarz.

Post by 406 »

TacoDelRio wrote: Funyan, PM sent since I kinda don't wanna post my location on ze webzarz.
Yeah, last thing you need is Ice Pirate groupies showing up at your job...those girls are freaky crazy!

Post by 406 »

^^^ Or Fight On
simonov

Post by simonov »

Sometimes when I go into those places and order my usual - a medium coffee - the baristas look at me like I have a third eyeball.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:Sometimes when I go into those places and order my usual - a medium coffee - the baristas look at me like I have a third eyeball.
:lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I like it when folks keep it simple.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Touche! It amazes me the amount of specifics people want in their coffee.

It's great when people come in and just say, i want a grande coffee, thats it.

So great!